White broad bean salad (Salatet Fassoulia)

fassoulia

I don’t know about you but the last thing I want to worry about today is cooking something elaborate!  A simple and delicious and healthy salad of fassoulia or beans is the ticket! Just boil the beans or buy them canned and quickly whip up a lemon, garlic and olive oil dressing; throw a handful of chopped parsley and you are good to go. Plus you can serve leftovers as part of your mezze table, should you need to, as this salad is considered a mezze item. Now I realize for a lot of folks, freezing weather does not really induce one to crave a salad; no problem, just eat it warm!

These beans were harvested much earlier from our land in the Shouf mountains and frozen. Buttery and soft, it was a delight to eat them with a garlic-lemon dressing and  a copious amount of extra-virgin olive oil, also from our olive trees. Not to worry, you can have a wonderful meal with store-bought beans. Serve it with a nice chunk of feta cheese, some olives and bread and feel great.

TO MAKE THE DRESSING:

• Juice of one or two lemons
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, double the volume of lemon juice
  • 2 or more cloves of garlic, mashed in a mortar with a pinch of salt

After mashing the garlic, place it in a bowl, add the lemon juice and mix well; add the olive oil and mix well to emulsify. Pour on the beans and add some chopped up parsley.

_MG_3298

1. Posted December 26, 2009 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

A lovely salad!

2. Posted December 27, 2009 at 3:50 am | Permalink

The simplest food are the best. We call them fassolia in Greek.

3. Posted December 27, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

these are my favorite beans. a simple light and healthy recipe!

4. Posted December 30, 2009 at 9:30 am | Permalink

My grandma used to boil these beans for us in salted water and we used to just eat them. :)

5. Ayline
    Posted July 24, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

I love this salad. Robust flavors. Have you been able to find this fassoulia here in the US? My mom years for them and I want to get them for her.

Posted July 25, 2010 at 6:47 am | Permalink

Ayline: no, I can’t say that I have; here they are in season again and all the little grocers in the Chouf are selling them

One Trackback

1. By White bean salad (Salatet Fassoulia) Lemon Me on December 26, 2009 at 6:59 pm

[...] more from the original source: White bean salad (Salatet Fassoulia) By admin | category: lemon, white lemon | tags: beans, boil-the-beans, leftovers-as-part, [...]