Candied chick peas (Kdaameh)

My neighbor Mary was over and (like everybody else these days) is on a Weight Watchers diet. I introduced her to these candied chick peas or kdaameh which she kept popping in her mouth; she could not believe she was eating chick peas and a candy at the same time. We used to eat those all the time as kids, we’d buy them from street vendors. I was elated to find them at the middle-eastern store near my house.

1. diala
    Posted February 24, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

yaaayyyyyyyyy, my favourite candiiiiiiiiii :))
    Miss Joumana, you rock!!! bisou

2. Posted February 24, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Your site looks very crisp! love the fresh look. I will be visiting you regularly. I’m interested to learn Beirut cuisine.

Warm regards,
    Malou

3. Posted February 24, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

That sounds interesting and delicious!!! Thank you for visiting my site!!! I love yours :)

4. Posted February 24, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

wow chickpeas and candy..will have to try to find these. my mom would get a kick out of these..nice blog!!

sweetlife

5. Posted February 24, 2010 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

How neat! I love the idea of candied chickpeas, such pretty colors! I can see how they would be addicting :)

6. Posted February 24, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

I’m intrigued by the notion of Candy Chick Peas, Joumana. When I was very young we gathered chick peas from a huge sack and the grocer measured them out much like candy shops. The kind we had were in their raw state and very hard to eat but they sure were good. I can just imagine what they would be like candy coated. Have you ever seen a recipe for them?

I too enjoy your blog’s look and content. I wonder if you would mind my adding your link to my blog roll. I visit many, many blogs and just want to be sure to drop back more often. Thanks for sharing and thank you so much for visiting my blog:)

7. Posted February 24, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

totally new to me….but they are looking so cute, like tiny easter eggs, colors are also so nice….will look in my international store…..

8. Posted February 24, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Wow! These are chickpeas? I would be popping them in my mouth too!

9. Posted February 24, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Marhaba…
    My favourite are the salted ones… still hard though… not like the one we buy from Rifai or Halabi…by the way, the old Halabi father was our neighbour, in Mazraat, and he used to do all the roasting by hand on the ” babour el kaz” if you still remember that…and when the boys took over they opened and expanded….

Posted February 24, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

I love the ones from Hamasni. I like the salted ones so much sometimes I eat them as a meal! I was wondering if anybody was still roasting them by hand, also, maybe in the villages or in Syria?

11. Posted February 24, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

so beautiful,,never heard abt this one till now…would love to try it..

12. Posted February 24, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Wow they look sooo great!Loved the new look of your blog!!!

13. souska
    Posted February 24, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Oh I love it

14. Posted February 24, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Wow, wow, wow Joumana. They make (or used to make) these in Cyprus as we call them koudames. They used to sell them mostly at panygiria (fairs) and I completely forgot about them until now. I never tried to get any during my trips to Cyprus as I wasn’t really fond of them but I am really happy that you posted this.

15. Posted February 25, 2010 at 1:17 am | Permalink

I’m so fascinated by these! We’ve got candied almonds that are like this but not chickpeas. I’m going to seek these out now :)

16. Posted February 25, 2010 at 2:31 am | Permalink

Wow that really new candy for me, looks fantastic..

17. Posted February 25, 2010 at 3:53 am | Permalink

This is delight full and Joanne being ur sweetfren too, am inviting u here for her little party(its her birthday dear -i know that u know dear) which is a suprise party for her …do leave her a wish in the sprinkles ok…..my feeds arent working or updating ,so am trying my best to find all her pals to leave her a wish in the sprinkles before she gets there or even after….will ya help too to make it a little sucess….and leave her a wish too?

18. Posted February 25, 2010 at 3:58 am | Permalink

Love the photos today. They have a certain dreamy quality.

19. Posted February 25, 2010 at 4:06 am | Permalink

I love the new look of your blog!!! Its very refreshing! and these candied chickpeas look so cute and am sure would taste great too!

20. Posted February 25, 2010 at 4:36 am | Permalink

They are so pretty! Very original…

21. Posted February 25, 2010 at 5:01 am | Permalink

I would never in a million year have put sweet & chickpeas together! My fave way to munch chickpeas is with olive oil, lemon juice, feta cheese and black pepper – savoury all the way :-)

22. Posted February 25, 2010 at 5:04 am | Permalink

Oh dear – just realised that came out sounding critical. What I meant to say was: I would never in a million years have THOUGHT of putting sweetness & chickpeas together (as in – that is a strange and interesting combination) :-)

23. Posted February 25, 2010 at 9:18 am | Permalink

C’est très innovant pour moi !
    Très bon jeudi,
    Doria

24. Posted February 25, 2010 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Hey Joumana, site looks great…candied peas is very new, may be i should search for them at ME stores…growing up, we used to have spicy peas from street vendors !! :-)

25. Posted February 25, 2010 at 10:36 am | Permalink

again I learned something. thanks a lot!

26. Posted February 25, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Whoa I have never seen anything like this before! They look so tasty. I am definitely going to have to try to find some here.

27. Posted February 25, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

I love the new and fresh look if your site. it’s warm and inviting and these candied chick peas look so cute and so delicious!

28. Posted February 25, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Je ne connaissais pas avant, merci de me les avoir presentés.

29. Posted February 25, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Wow, I love how the site looks! So clean and nice. Also – I love chickpea anything, so I am now on a mission to find these.

30. Posted February 25, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

I am so intrigued by these lovely little candies! My husband (who grew up in Syria) told me that as a kid he would buy ground dried chickpeas mixed with sugar for a snack. The way he described it, I was never all that interested in tasting it. This on the other hand looks incredible!

31. Posted February 26, 2010 at 1:19 am | Permalink

i am seeing candied chickpeas for the fist time, ive eaten candied almonds similar to this one.

32. Posted February 26, 2010 at 2:33 am | Permalink

Oh, my. I’ve never seen candied chick peas. Sort of like Jordan Almonds, but with chick peas instead. What a great idea! I’ll have to start looking for these.

33. Posted February 27, 2010 at 1:11 am | Permalink

My first time to see such pretty little candies with chickpea filling. I just wonder whether I can stop munching them once I start…LOL

34. Posted February 28, 2010 at 1:02 am | Permalink

When I was in Jeddah-Saudi Arab, I absolutely loved candied almonds, just like these. They used to be yumm. I wish there was a recipe to make a home-made candied nut or such chickpeas.

35. cmiranda
    Posted March 7, 2010 at 12:58 am | Permalink

What an intresting combination, who would of thought these two worked so well together.

36. Posted March 30, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

I love that and my mom too! She used to send me to the Lebanese/Syrian or Turkish shop to buy these.

37. Janelle
    Posted May 13, 2011 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

favourite candies ever growing up!!!!! my tita used to keep her house fully stocked with them and they were such a treat on weekends! :)

38. Posted May 14, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

YAAY!! I got so giddy when I saw this post of foodgawker!! I love these and miss them so much! Thank you for making me smile today! :)

2 Trackbacks

1. By Oatmeal and chickpea flour cookies on May 13, 2011 at 6:54 pm

[...] find grilled chickpeas sold in pound bags next to almonds, pistachios and dried fruits, and candied grilledchick peas coated in colored pastel [...]

2. [...] you will find grilled chickpeas sold in pound bags next to almonds, pistachios and dried fruits, andcandied grilledchick peas coated in colored pastel [...]