Grape Molasses drink (Sharab debess el-enab)

Whenever I see my brother Jean, it is as the French say en coup de vent (like a gust of wind); he landed from Singapore and hopped on a plane bound to Cyprus; we managed to share a meal, during which he told us about a book  written by a physician who was exposing the ill effects of glucose and corn syrup (or are they the same thing?); according to this book, an excess of corn syrup will be responsible for a host of diseases.

Not wanting to dwell on this topic, I decided nevertheless to try a drink which is common in rural areas, but which we never tried growing up: Grape molasses drink. It is simply grape molasses diluted in some  water.

Of course, it is very healthy, and totally devoid of corn syrup, since the molasses is extracted from fresh grapes.
A sweet and refreshing drink, with the faint taste of grapes; also made into a pudding with the addition of starch.

Grape molasses is sold at all middle-eastern grocery stores and online.

1) Pour 2 tablespoons of grape molasses in a cup.
2) Add 6 ounces of water and stir.
Can add a teaspoon (or a half-teaspoon) of orange blossom water
Serve as is or refrigerate and serve cold.

1. Posted June 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

I love this, Joumana! I do so hope I can find a Middle Eastern grocery soon. You make the most lovely things that I want to replicate. :-)

Your brother sounds just like my oldest brother. Always on the move, arriving from one country or another, full of interesting tidbits of information. :-)

2. Posted June 25, 2010 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Excellent drink, looks fabulous..

3. Posted June 25, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Sounds like a great drink for the summer!

4. Posted June 25, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

And the pudding? What’s that?

5. Posted June 25, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Us Greeks call this Petimezi, the syrup made of grape must. I love this stuff as part of a salad dressing. Now to try it out as a summer refreshment!

6. Posted June 25, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Ça se boit comme le sirop qu’on trouve en France. Je ne sais pas si on en trouve aux Etats-Unis d’ailleurs!
    Le livre dont t’a parlé ton frère, ça ne serait pas “Toxic food” par hasard?
    Une bise!

7. Posted June 25, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if it is the same thing, but if it is, we call it petimezi. We make cookies with this and they are great. This drink must be very refreshing.

8. Posted June 25, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Thank God I don’t use either corn syrup or glucose. This is similar to Greek “petimezi” and we thicken it with flour to make moustalevria (which means must + flour). However, have never tried it as a drink.

9. Posted June 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I’ve never even heard of grape molasses, but it sounds wonderful.

PS—I wrote more about my Dallas trip today! http://almostvegankc.blogspot.com/2010/06/almost-vegan-in-dallas-iii.html And part 2 will be up on Monday :]

10. Posted June 25, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

I am crazy about pomegranate molasses… so this seems a good idea to me!!

11. Posted June 25, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Very interesting… I have not seen it here, yet. And I snoop a lot. But if you are writing about it, I seem to find it… have you ever tried pomegranate molasses the same way?

12. Posted June 25, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

A wonderful idea!

13. Posted June 25, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I would love to try it. I’ll check this great market where I get my gas. She sells all sorts of great Middle Eastern food items. That’s where I get my Greek olive oil and she makes fresh feta each day! This sounds very interesting!

14. SYLVIA
    Posted June 25, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

This is a great healthy alternative to soda drink to serve at kids parties. Grape juice is rich in flavonoids, it helps prevent LDL the (lousy cholesterol ) from attaching to artery walls. Good job Joumana, and thank you, I will make this at my next hosting, and surprise everyone.
    High fructose corn syrup is a sugar substitute that is found in processed foods, sweets, salad dressings, and soda, the problem is it never shuts off the gherlin a hormone that controls your appetite, even though you ate, and have food in your stomach, it constantly tells your brain that you are hungry, and makes you crave more high calorie foods, and gain weight, it increses omentum, abdominal fat located inside the belly where it hangs underneath the muscle in your stomach, which is close to your organs, and raises the risk of heart disease and developing type 2 diabetes.

15. Posted June 25, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Looks so refreshing. And you can’t tease us with mention of the pudding and not tell us how to make it!

16. Linda Mercier
    Posted June 25, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Hi Joumana! This sounds delicious, but grape molasses, along with pomegranate molasses and another one you’ve mentioned, are something I’d never heard of! They sound absolutely wonderful to use in recipes! I’ll have to hunt some down.
    Also, I was curious if you might know the name of this book about the corn syrup, or maybe the name of the physician who wrote it. We had never heard of anyone being allergic to corn until my sister was “diagnosed” with this allergy a dozen or so years ago. When you read the ingredients, so many things have corn syrup in them! And more and more people are finding they’re allergic.

17. Posted June 25, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

This needs a shot of vodka to make it alcoholic. :)

18. Posted June 26, 2010 at 2:03 am | Permalink

this looks delicious, I really must try some!

19. Posted June 26, 2010 at 5:02 am | Permalink

Thats a very interesting drink! I wonder if I can get it at our local souk/supermarket

20. Posted June 26, 2010 at 6:54 am | Permalink

So your brother is visiting from Singapore! you should visit HIM so that you can try some lovely dishes from Singapore! ;-)

Is this grape juice sort of like Ribena? It’s a popular drink in Singapore…

21. Posted June 26, 2010 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Fantastic, I’m sure it also has cleansing properties…..We can find grape molasses here in a superb Turkish shop so…I will definitely make it!

22. Posted June 26, 2010 at 8:21 am | Permalink

This sounds delicious and I love how it is sweetened naturally. I’ll keep my eyes open for this!

23. Posted June 26, 2010 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Glucose and corn syrup are NOT the same thing and yes corn syrup is super bad for you! I could get into why if you want, but it’s long and technical. The grape molasses sounds delicious!

24. Posted June 26, 2010 at 8:52 am | Permalink

A very beautiful drink

25. Posted June 26, 2010 at 9:09 am | Permalink

I have this molasses but never thought to use it in a drink. I must try it today.

26. Posted June 26, 2010 at 9:46 am | Permalink

That sounds very refreshing, I know I am going to like this.

27. Posted June 26, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Happy…very happy…I saw this in the store the other day…and wondered if I would like it…especially since it did not have the yucky syrup.
    Thank you for the very simple stir.
    Claudia

28. Posted June 26, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

une boisson rafraichissante je l’essayerai prochainement
    bon week-end

29. Posted June 26, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

A refreshing summer drink!

30. Posted June 26, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

I like this drink and thanks so much for the info and the link.

31. Posted June 27, 2010 at 4:05 am | Permalink

i was excited to discover pomegranate molasses not too long ago, and now you’re introducing me to something even better! this drink must be absolutely delicious.

32. Posted June 27, 2010 at 9:59 am | Permalink

I was reading recently that if we could incorporate more Middle Eastern foods into our diet we would all be much healthier! I stopped drinking carbonated beverages about five years ago so this drink sounds wonderful to me!

33. Posted June 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Sound delicious. Thanks for showing what brands you buy. I’m lost when I go to our Middle Eastern market.
    Mimi

34. Posted May 29, 2011 at 3:03 am | Permalink

من ایرانی هستم اهل سیاهکل
    I love you akon

35. maritsa
    Posted October 2, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Years ago when i was alittle girl in greece , every morning allmost, before we left for school , my mother god rest her soul ,she would pour some petimezi ( grape molasses) in a dish with olive oil , we diped our bread , it was so good that ,the taste of petimezi stayed with me ,i loved it then and i love it now ,57 years later , every time i go back to Greece ,i always look for it ,to bring back to America , now , a question, did anybody else ate the petimezi with olive oil? if not i recomend it ,you will need alot of bread it goes a long way .enjoy, and is healthy.

36. Posted June 20, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I dont think or dont in my mind sens what is grap molesses dont knwo about what this is plz ask?me

Posted June 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

@Javed ali: Grape molasses is a syrup extracted from the grapes. nothing else but grapes.

One Trackback

1. [...] may have limited our enjoyment of some:Molasses drinkSmall amount of molasses distilled in water (recipe here). We hoped it would taste good with vodka.Amount used: minuscule Recipe for the road? You could. [...]