Amardeen drink

This is a traditional drink during Ramadan; by the way, Ramadan Kareem to all!

Amardeen is the name given to a large sheet of apricot paste; the apricots and the sheets are from Syria; amardeen has a tangy, sweet and intense apricot flavor. It is diluted in water, made into a drink or a pudding or just eaten as is in chunks.

For a quart-sized pitcher:

Dilute 500 g (about 1 package or 1 pound) of amardeen in four cups of water overnight. The next day, pour one cup of water and 1/2 cup of sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the water. Cool and set aside. Place 2 ounces of nuts (pistachios, pine nuts) in a bowl filled with water for at least one hour.

In a blender, pour the amardeen and water mixture and the syrup and process until smooth; taste for desired sweetness. Serve the drink in cups and garnish with a few pine nuts and peeled pistachios or almonds or walnuts, if desired.

NOTE: One can add a teaspoon of rose water to this drink if desired.

For a pudding recipe, clickhere

1. Posted August 18, 2010 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Joumana, I send my compliments. Your recipes are inventive and delicious and you share an equally delicious slice of life in a country so many of us are eager to know more about. Kudos and thank you!

2. Posted August 18, 2010 at 11:51 am | Permalink

What a gorgeous drink! Delicious, no doubt. :)

3. Posted August 18, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

A very different and refreshing drink!

4. Posted August 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

A gorgeous drink! Delicious!

5. Posted August 18, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Sounds very refreshing Joumana!

6. Posted August 18, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Joumana what lovely drink! gloria

7. Posted August 18, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Looks lovely, with all those nuts. I’m wondering if amardeen is a cousin of lavashak? Is it apricots only or sometimes other fruit?
    Today I made a tray of plum lavashak and am hoping to put it to dry in the sun tomorrow, if the weather forecast is correct.

8. Posted August 18, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

This sounds and looks wonderful :) Ans so very beautiful!

9. Posted August 18, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

looks so refreshing and delicious..

10. Posted August 18, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

ramadhan mabrouk karim Joumana!
    Merci pour cette délicieuse boisson très énergisante surtout pour le mois de ramadhan!
    à ce propos , j’organise un jeu relatif aux soupes du ramadhan ayant pour but de partager nos recettes et de les tester éventuellement.Ta participation me ferait énormément plaisir!!
    bises! kouky

11. Posted August 18, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

This drink sounds so exotic and interesting! I love apricots & that dried apricot paste sounds so delish. xo

12. Posted August 18, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I love this drink! People drink it by the buckets here in Egypt during Ramadan. Great garnish.

13. Posted August 18, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Oh that looks nice and thick, more like a nectar, which I prefer over juice. Love the touch of nut in it.

14. Posted August 18, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

What a refreshing drink – it sounds so tasty!

15. Posted August 18, 2010 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

OMG. We have ESP?! I went to a Mediterranean store today, and saw that EXACT same product…and I was wondering what the heck I could do with it! And then I see THIS post! Is this fate?!

16. Posted August 18, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

This drink looks so tasty and exotic. I love the addition of rose water in it. We use it also here in Greece.

17. Posted August 19, 2010 at 12:40 am | Permalink

I have never had anything like this! How cool!

18. Posted August 19, 2010 at 1:40 am | Permalink

That drink looks so refreshing & special too!

I will look for amardeen! thanks!

19. Posted August 19, 2010 at 5:56 am | Permalink

What a very pretty and refreshing looking drink.

20. Posted August 19, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

I have never heard of apricot paste. This is so intriguing, more so with the rose water in it.

21. Posted August 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Mmm! Apricot and pistachio is such a good combination! Ramadan Kareem to you too!

22. Posted August 20, 2010 at 3:17 am | Permalink

what a uniquely delicious beverage! the color is just gorgeous.

23. Posted August 20, 2010 at 6:44 am | Permalink

I would have thought those fruit sheets would be sweet enough on their own…I guess not. Now, when I see them at the store…I’ll finally be able to know what it can be used for. Everytime I walk into the middle eastern store…I’m overwhelmed. Thanks to you…I’m slowing untangling the mysteries ;o)

Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

24. Posted August 21, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Joumana,
    Last year we bought a big sheet of apricot at a middle eastern store in the Mission District of San Francisco and it’s been stashed away in the food pantry as I didn’t know what to do with it. Well now I do :)
    The amardeen margarita seems like a great idea too.
    Thanks for sharing!
    H

25. Posted August 21, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

I remember reading about this in one of Claudia Roden’s books years ago. I thought it sounded delicious and a bit magical!

26. Posted August 24, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

I picked up a package of the amardeen and was curious to come up with some use for it, I had all sorts of ideas, but nothing sounds as good as this drink that you’ve shared with us. Thank you!!

4 Trackbacks

1. [...] Amardeen drink [...]

2. By Amardeen on June 6, 2011 at 6:21 pm

[...] it and soak it in water, whirl in the blender and make a juice with it. Click here for the [...]

3. By Amardeen | Food Recipes on July 8, 2012 at 9:07 pm

4. By Taste of Beirut – Amardeen on September 11, 2014 at 11:22 am

[…] it and soak it in water, whirl in the blender and make a juice with it. Clickhere for the […]