Zaatar batons

Zaatar is a food  I simply can’t live without. So, every so often, I make something with zaatar; this time, I saw neat little packages of puff pastry at the Middle-Eastern grocer, already cut in small squares;  this puff pastry  is not unfortunately  made with pure butter from Danish cows.

Oh well.

The pastry squares are very amenable to being rolled out paper-thin;  a zaatar paste is spread out gingerly, the (now) rectangles get rolled up like a carpet, and thrown in a hot oven.

A few minutes later, golden crispy zaatar batons are ready to be dipped in labneh (or yogurt cheese) and enjoyed with the appropriate beverage (a glass of wine, perhaps?).

1. Defrost as many squares as you wish at room temperature for a couple of hours. One square, rolled paper-thin, will yield 2 batons. Pour some zaatar mix in a small bowl and cover it generously with olive oil, stirring to make a loose paste.
  2. Roll out the dough on a work surface sprinkled with a little flour. Roll it out as thin as possible. Using a small spoon, dab some zaatar paste all over the rectangle of pastry, spreading it out with the back of the spoon so that it is evenly distributed.
  3. With your fingers, roll the pastry as if rolling a rug; roll back and forth to thin it out even more if you wish. Cut in half and place the batons on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. If you wish, dab some olive oil on the batons and sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds back and forth.
  4. Bake in a preheated 375F oven until the batons are crisped up, checking on them after 15 minutes and flipping  them if necessary. Cool and serve with labneh (yogurt cheese) or as is.

TIP: If you wish, you can roll them very thin, like sticks; in which case, one square of puff pastry will yield 4 sticks.

For more information on zaatar, click here.

For information on a zaatar grower in Lebanon, click here.

For information on how to make labneh, click here.

1. Posted November 29, 2010 at 1:17 am | Permalink

I enjoyed reading more about zaatar. These little rolled snacks look so delicious!

2. Posted November 29, 2010 at 1:41 am | Permalink

It’s far too early in the morning for me to drool over blog posts – but you had me at the word zaatar. I love this idea! I have everything on hand except the puff pastry so I’ll be making this after my first trip to the grocery store! Will be sure to blog about it too & link to you!

3. Posted November 29, 2010 at 3:05 am | Permalink

A glass of wine? But of course! Shamefully I rarely use zaatar. Something I don’t understand as I absolutely adore the flavour

4. Posted November 29, 2010 at 3:44 am | Permalink

Feel like grabbing some batons..

5. Posted November 29, 2010 at 3:55 am | Permalink

I am sure if I start eating these I won’t stop until all are gone. I love appetizers sometimes more than actual main course.

6. Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:07 am | Permalink

Lovely atons! Za’atar is so wonderful.

7. Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:11 am | Permalink

Those batons look so good. Love to dip them in labneh too!!

8. Posted November 29, 2010 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Joumana, I would eat a jar of these as well….good offering for when guests first arrive or to have around as a snack.

9. Posted November 29, 2010 at 8:35 am | Permalink

oooo! quick easy and delish!

10. Posted November 29, 2010 at 8:50 am | Permalink

I’ve got some Zaatar I need to use–these little delights look perfect for holiday cocktail parties!

11. Posted November 29, 2010 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Not sure if I love more the zaatar or the labneh. Definitely the two combined are one of the best things ever. Great appetizer idea, perfect for a last minute invite! Thanks

12. peanutts
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:00 am | Permalink

I keep hearing about zataar so have always wondered what it tastes like :), maybe someday when I get my hands on some will defintely come here to try one of your zataar flavoured recipes :)

13. SYLVIA
    Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:54 am | Permalink

The presentation says Beirut, spiked with sesame seeds, this chefy topping of zaatar that’s rolled into a crunchy cracker, has a lot of flavor with a little effort.Everyone will be asking for more, it’s guaranteed party hit.

14. Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:57 am | Permalink

These are scrumptious savory treats, so flavorful with zaatar! Excellent!

15. Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:58 am | Permalink

I’m with you… I love zatar… just in a pool of olive oil, dunking in chunks of good bread… I am in heaven! Great idea to pair with pastry… heaven for an appetizer!

16. Posted November 29, 2010 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Isn’t it sad that I’ve never even tasted this thing that you’re so passionate about? I’m sure I would be hooked immediately though. These look delicious

17. Posted November 29, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I’ve never tried zaatar before but they sound like a delicious snack!

18. Posted November 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

You are right about puff pastry and it being better to use an all butter version. But if anything can make this taste good it’s being slathered in zaatar. This recipe will be fantastic for Christmas drinks nibbles.

19. Posted November 29, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

What a fabulous idea! I LOVE zaatar too– good take on a cheese straw!!

20. Posted November 29, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Great as an amuse-bouche for the holidays, and color cordinayed with xmas too

21. Posted November 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

I love zaatar. I love it on pita with a little olive oil, and also on chicken.
    *kisses* HH

22. Posted November 29, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Boy oh boy these look fantastic!! I recently tried Zaatar and fell in love, I am tempted to make these tonight for dinner :)

23. Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Interesting read. They would make a perfect snack

24. Posted November 29, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Gosh, I bet these tasted really good and disappeared in no time.

25. Posted November 29, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Love this idea!

26. Posted November 29, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Another good filling for those batons! My guests loved the mustard-filled batons from Dorie Greenspan. They are so adaptable!

27. Posted November 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Oh, what I wouldn’t give for a bucket of these right now! I ador za’atar but almost never have it… I must rectify this immediately!

28. Posted November 29, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

lovely colour looks yummy perfect to snack

29. Posted November 30, 2010 at 1:15 am | Permalink

What a simple yet satisfying idea… need to keep this in mind. We had zaatar bread this weekend… I wish I had the chance to come on your site earlier :)

30. Posted November 30, 2010 at 1:57 am | Permalink

These look dangerously moreish. I can just picture the glass of wine, music playing, a plateful of zaatar batons…and then realising I’ve eaten the lot!

31. Posted November 30, 2010 at 6:43 am | Permalink

I cannot resist things with zaatar! These batons look perfect for the Italian cheeses I have just bought :-)

32. Posted December 1, 2010 at 2:44 am | Permalink

Joumana, what a perfect snack to serve with drinks in the holiday season. I have just made some labneh and have a bag of zaatar in the pantry – I’m ready to go!

33. Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:38 am | Permalink

Such a quick and yum snack.I don’t think I will be sharing it with anyone if I am going to make this ;)

34. Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

On to the grocery list this puff pastry sheet will go. One more discovery I’m hopefully going to be excited about finding at the M.Eastern store. Wish me luck to find it ;o)

Great idea for my buffet table ;o)

Ciao for now,
    Claudia

35. Posted December 2, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Tu excelles toujours dans l’utilisation du zaatar ! J’ai déjà gardé de côté la recette de tes croûtons au zaatar et celle-ci me plaît beaucoup.

36. Posted December 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

YUM…another delicious way in which to use my fabulous zatar. Love it! – s

37. Posted December 4, 2010 at 6:48 am | Permalink

Très belle idée d’apéritif à servir à ses convives. Il faudrait vraiment que je goûte le zaatar dont tu nous parles tant! Ça m’intrigue! Bisous

38. Posted December 5, 2010 at 5:09 am | Permalink

aww. these would be perfect to snack on. I have only recently discovered the virtues of zaatar and I am loving it.

39. Posted December 6, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Those would be so good with labneh for dipping! I agree completely.

40. Posted April 6, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Love Zaatar! Especially on pita with olive oil. That is Armenian pastry the way in your photo. Work with it all the time.

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] Zaatar batons Taste of Beirut [...]

2. By Lebanon: Delicious Zaatar Batons · Global Voices on December 12, 2010 at 2:06 am

[...] Here's the recipe for making delicious zaatar (thyme) sticks, in addition to links about zaatar and other Lebanese food that can easily be made at home. [...]