And that vegetable is?…

Anybody care to shed some light?

It is about 7 inches (18 cms)  long and weighs about 10 ounces (300 g.).

ANSWER: It is a purple radish and is imported from Korea.

1. Posted March 28, 2011 at 1:49 am | Permalink

It looks like a purple daikon (radish) to me . . . I think it’s a Korean variety. I’ve seen it at Asian grocers in my area, but I personally haven’t tried it yet.

By the way, I’m a fan of your site and just started following recently :)

2. Posted March 28, 2011 at 2:48 am | Permalink

It’s easy for us, being in Turkey. Any vegetable that looks like this, including radish – as in the comment above – is just called Turp. No idea what its variety is but it looks like it would be good in a salad.
    Julia

3. Posted March 28, 2011 at 2:57 am | Permalink

I think Pinjing is right…looks like purple Korean radish!

4. Posted March 28, 2011 at 3:27 am | Permalink

I only know it’s a root vegetable :P Looks like a radish to me.

5. Posted March 28, 2011 at 5:05 am | Permalink

A purple turnip?

6. Posted March 28, 2011 at 5:21 am | Permalink

I reckon it’s some kind of swede. At least that’s what we call them here in England!

Oh, Wikipedia says they’re also called a rutabaga, which is a much cooler name then swede. Don’t think they’re related to radishes though, which also sounds like a very good guess. Cut into it and let us know!

BTW, I love your blog – consistently delicious recipes :)

7. Posted March 28, 2011 at 5:44 am | Permalink

It looks like purple radish.I have it on my blog here – http://seduceyourtastebuds.blogspot.com/2010/02/pjs-mystery-files-1.html

8. Posted March 28, 2011 at 6:09 am | Permalink

I have no idea but I’d love to find out. 300 g is a lot of vegetable!
    Magda

9. Marina
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 7:30 am | Permalink

7abibte it’s a type of turnip, called a rutabaga :)

10. Posted March 28, 2011 at 7:36 am | Permalink

I know I am wrong, but isn’t this kind of like what a rutabaga looks like?

11. Posted March 28, 2011 at 8:14 am | Permalink

=) Looks like y’all have it – it’s cute and fat.

12. Posted March 28, 2011 at 8:45 am | Permalink

It’s a type of daikon or radish, purple when it’s still very young. As they grow larger and longer, they turn white. Delicious made into korean style pickle, or Chinese soup with lots of ginger!

13. Posted March 28, 2011 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Looks like an oblong turnip. Now, I’m wondering what it tastes like!

14. Posted March 28, 2011 at 10:24 am | Permalink

I’d say it’s a turnip as they have a lower water content than a radish and this root looks a bit dehydrated. Radishes usually don’t store as well and rot before shriveling up. Yep my bet is on a turnip.

15. Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:03 am | Permalink

A turnip on steroids?

16. Hagit
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Turnip for sure,here the young and small roots are white,the old ones get heavy and purple.
    You can tell by the wrinkels and the small green leaves,that this one specific stood for to long on the self.

17. Avelina Accad
    Posted March 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Looks like a rutabaga to me. It’s a type of turnip.

18. Posted March 28, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

I would guess a radish or a turnip? Maybe a rutabaga? :-)

19. Posted March 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

I’ll go with turnip/rutabaga/swede

Posted March 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

It says PURPLE RADISH on the box as well as KOREA

21. Posted March 28, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Looks like a rutabaga to me.
    Mimi

22. Posted March 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

My best guess would be a rutabaga gone rogue. LOL
    I do get the feeling that a few of your other readers may be more qualified to answer this one.

Have a great day,
    Claudia

23. Posted March 28, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

pink turnip ?!

24. Posted March 28, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

I would have to see it inside, and taste it, but I am 99.9% sure it is a rutabaga and we often call them (inaccurately so) turnips. They are a yellow golden colour inside and good raw – and cooked have a stronger flavour that people tend to love, or hate.
    Valerie

25. Posted March 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Il ” navet ” qu’a mieux se caché comme ça on ne l’aurait pas reconnu

26. Posted March 29, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I have to say I could not quite get the size of this in the picture and my guess was also a turnip! Nice post.

E.A.T.

27. Posted March 29, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

That is one big radish :)

28. Posted April 3, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Looks like a turnip to me.

29. Tom
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 6:41 am | Permalink

Are these available in Beirut?!?! I’d love to get my hands on some!

Posted June 8, 2011 at 7:22 am | Permalink

@Tom: I would ask a wholesaler who imports Asian produce to supply Japanese, Chinese and Thai restaurants.

31. Chicky
    Posted July 9, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Here in Hawaii, you can purchase these purple turnips (we use the Japanese term daikon) at one of the new Korean markets. The market says they are imported from Korea and grown on Jeju Island. I’ve made takuan (pickled turnip) from them and the color is just beautiful—-the pickling juice turns magenta and the turnip still retains some of its lavender color when you eat it. The one in the picture is slightly dehydrated. The ones at the Korean market are even larger than the one in the picture.

32. Chicky
    Posted July 9, 2011 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Sorry, need to make a correction, the daikon is a radish, not a turnip.