Asparagus and calabasa cream soup

This soup can be consumed as a savory and cold panna cotta or a warm traditional soup. It has the elusive but delicious flavors of asparagus and (in the background) calabasa squash, and not much else.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 bunch of green asparagus (500 g. or 1 pound)
  • 3 small calabasa squash
  • 2 cups of whipping cream
  • 4 ounces of fresh goat cheese
  • Spices: 1/4 teaspoon of cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon of red Aleppo pepper, a dash of black pepper

1. Boil the asparagus and the squash for 5 to 7 minutes or until a knife inserted in comes out easily. Drop into a bowl of icy water and drain well. Reserve part of the cooking water.
  2. Place the asparagus (keep a few to use for a garnish) and the squash in the food processor; add 1 1/2 cups of the cooking water and purée the mixture until smooth; add the cream, spices, goat cheese, and purée some more until very smooth; taste and adjust seasoning.
  3. Now if you want to serve warm, you are done. If you wish to serve this as a panna cotta, place the cream back on the stove, sprinkle .1 ounce (4 grams or 2 teaspoons) of agar-agar on the surface and start stirring. When the mixture steams, keep stirring for 2 minutes then set aside. Pour into ramequins or small bowls, garnish with the asparagus spears and let cool. When at room temperature, refrigerate covered until firm, about 2 hours. Serve cold.

1. Posted April 29, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

That is a wonderful idea! What a delightful soup.

2. Posted April 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Ta soupe est excellente!!

3. Posted April 29, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

I do love this – I don’t know the squash – will check it out and see what I can use that is similar. The light green does my heart good! Your presentations always make me wish I was at your table.

4. Posted April 29, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

I would be totally satisfied with this soup. It looks and sounds so special!!! Any left? :D

5. Posted April 30, 2011 at 1:19 am | Permalink

This was so delicious!

6. Posted April 30, 2011 at 3:35 am | Permalink

Un très beau vert. J’hésite entre la manger froide et chaude. Il faudra tester les 2 versions.
    Bon week-end et à très bientôt.

7. Posted April 30, 2011 at 7:09 am | Permalink

I love all these asparagus recipes. We have asparagus in the garden so it is nice to make some changes in recipes. Diane

8. Posted April 30, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Wonderful soup! Love the pictures and presentation!

9. Posted April 30, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

That’s a great looking asparagus soup! I love the way you present them.

10. Posted April 30, 2011 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Asparagus all over net net right now. Love how it can be served cold and hot. goat cheese in it must give a nice kick a bit.. Lovely

11. Posted April 30, 2011 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Beautiful! I too recently made an asparagus soup and there really is no better time of the year to enjoy this vegetable.

E.A.T.

12. Posted April 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Soup looks creamy and delicious..love asparagus in soups..

13. Posted April 30, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

how lovely. i just made a white asparagus soup as part of a round up I do with a group of bloggers! check it out! I think you’d really like it.

14. Posted May 1, 2011 at 5:50 am | Permalink

Goat cheese and asparagus is certainly a perfect pairing. Now, the only thing I’ll need to tweak is the amount of heavy cream used in your recipe. Heh, Joumana, some of us need to watch our waistline…and let’s not forget, how I need to have my dessert too. LOL

Thanks for such a lovely, smooth glass of Spring goodness.
    Flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

15. Posted May 1, 2011 at 10:11 am | Permalink

This is super pretty! I absolutely love the presentation, too!

16. Posted May 1, 2011 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Excellent !!!! Superbe présentation pour cette soupe pleine de saveurs…

17. Posted May 1, 2011 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Beautifully silky soup, the goat cheese brings such a lovely flavour to this dish, I can imagine!

18. Posted May 1, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

The tart goat cheese sounds wonderful with asparagus and squash…an elegant starter for dinner too!

19. Posted May 2, 2011 at 12:23 am | Permalink

Une crème pleine de charme avec cette présentation qui la rend encore plus gourmande….

20. Posted May 2, 2011 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Funny, but I was dreaming of making an asparagus flan just the other day, love your take, and the flavor complexity offered by the squash. – S

21. Posted May 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

C’est marrant, je n’aurais jamais eu l’idée de marier la courge et l’asperge, ça doit être très original. Ta soupe a l’air crémeuse à souhait !

22. Posted May 5, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Beautiful, beautiful recipe! Always been a favorite of mine, and I adore the goat cheese add :)