Fig rolls

Saw a tempting brioche recipe in Nadji’s Saveurs et Gourmandises (I call her the Queen of brioches and desserts of all stripes); anyway, the recipe appealed to me  because it used fresh mandarin  juice in the batter.

I added some orange rind and orange blossom water to the batter and stuffed the brioche with fig jam Lebanese-style (made with dried figs and sesame).

For a traditional fig jam recipe with walnuts, sesame seeds and anise, click here.

The rolls are very soft and fluffy.

INGREDIENTS: Makes 12 rolls

• All-purpose flour (500 g. or 1 pound and 5 tablespoons)
  • 1 large egg (+1 egg yolk to brush on the rolls)
  • 3 mandarin, orange, clementine, juiced (130 ml or 2/3 cup)
  • 2/3 cup of warm water (130 ml)
  • Rind of one orange
  • Orange blossom water (1/4 cup or as needed)
  • Dry milk powder (80 g. or 2.8 ounces)
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon of dry yeast (9 g.)
  • Sugar (50 g. or 2.5oz.)
  • Butter (50 g. or 4 tablespoons), softened at room temperature
  • Salt (1 teaspoon)
  • Fig jam (1 cup or 180 g.)
  • Sesame seeds (1/4 cup or 30 g.)

1. Place the flour, salt, sugar and dry milk powder in the bowl of a food processor; mix for a few seconds till combined well.
  2. Proof the yeast in a small bowl with the warm water and a pinch of sugar. Let it proof for a few minutes; meanwhile, juice the orange or the mandarin and fill a measuring jug with the collected juice; add some orange blossom water and some water to make 2/3 cup.
  3. Pour the proofed yeast and the citrus juice in the feed tube and run the machine; pour the egg into the batter and the butter in small chunks. The dough will be sticky. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl and keep in a warm place until it doubles in size, overnight if you like.
  4. When the dough has risen, punch it down to deflate the little gas bubbles and knead it briefly, adding a dash of flour or cornstarch to keep it from being too sticky. Divide the dough into equal-sized balls (80 g. or 2.8 ounces). Take each ball and flatten it into a small rectangle; place a good tablespoon of fig jam onto the dough. Pinch it to enclose the jam and roll it into a long sausage. Coil it onto itself and place it on a paper or silpat-lined baking sheet. Brush with an egg yolk and sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds.
  5. Bake in a 375F oven for about 15 minutes or until the rolls are golden and dry  and firm. Serve.

1. Posted April 8, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

I can almost taste them. What a great combo. I bet these would taste great with a date filling too.

2. Posted April 8, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

These rolls look fantastic – a bit sweet but not too sweet. And I’m always looking for ways to use up this bottle of orange flower water that is lurking in my kitchen!

3. Posted April 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Oh boy do these rolls look comforting! I can imagine biting into these soft pastries and tasting that sweet fig jam. I like that you added orange blossom water, it must add a nice touch of essence.

4. Posted April 8, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Those are gorgeous! With orange blossom water? Whoa!

5. Posted April 9, 2011 at 1:06 am | Permalink

These fig rolls are beautiful! Book marked and must try soon.

6. Posted April 9, 2011 at 1:47 am | Permalink

Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe Joumana, I love orange , mandarin, clementine, what a great combo!!! have a lovely weekend…

7. Posted April 9, 2011 at 4:14 am | Permalink

THose must be divine!

8. Posted April 9, 2011 at 4:35 am | Permalink

OMG, the fig filling must be delicious. And I love orange blossom water in doughs, like in the Spanish roscón de Reyes.

9. Posted April 9, 2011 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Tes brioches sont très belles et garnis de figues, ça doit être excellent!

10. Posted April 9, 2011 at 7:23 am | Permalink

Joumana these have all my favorite things in them… how can they not be glorious. Genius to add orange flower water… I can imagine it does spectacular things to figs.

11. Posted April 9, 2011 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Gorgeous fig rolls,sooooooo inviting..

12. Posted April 9, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Love the idea of using fig jams in rolls. Looks divine!

13. Posted April 9, 2011 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Jumana, I’m drooling!!! I love those rolls with the date stuffing!!!

14. Posted April 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Bonjour Joumana, me faire rouler par une telle gourmandise n’est pas pour me déplaire. Bisous et passe une belle fin de semaine

15. Posted April 9, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Nadji is definitely “Queen of brioches”…love the touch of orange,these are wonderful!

16. Posted April 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Joumana,
    thank you for stopping by. I often discover such great treasures on the net just by chance. I had a friend who lived in Beirut for 2 years a long time ago.
    I am from Serbia, Belgrade the capital city, but the recipes from Croatia and Serbia are very similar especially the sweets. There are some fabulous blogs from Croatia and Serbia on my blog roll that are in English

and many more

looking forward to discovering your cuisine

17. Posted April 9, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Absolutely delicious, I have to make these rolls, thanks for a wonderful recipe!!

18. Posted April 9, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Hmm, those flavors sound SO delicious. And your take on the fig rolls looks delicious.

19. Posted April 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

j’essaierai bien avec du jus de yuzu !!pierre

20. Posted April 9, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Nadji’s blog is a delight, I agree.
    These rolls are lovely, Joumana. I must confess I am not overly fond of figs, but imagine I could substitute another jam…it’s the rolls that are divine. Such a lovely crumb!

21. Posted April 9, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I am sure these tasted wonderful. I love figs so much and last week I bought some dried Kalamata figs which are wonderful. I can’t wait for August to get some fresh figs to make some jam, so I will have this recipe in mind.

22. Posted April 9, 2011 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

This sounds so mouth-watering, I love figs in any form and I’m sure they are just perfect in these beautiful rolls.

23. Posted April 9, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

These look delicious

24. Posted April 10, 2011 at 5:22 am | Permalink

Ah! This looks amazing. Oh Joumana you always make me hungry. I love figs so this is right up my alley

25. Posted April 10, 2011 at 6:12 am | Permalink

Joumana mon amie, heureuse que tu aies apprécié cette version de brioche.
    Je note ta version qui me plait beaucoup.
    Bon dimanche et à très bientôt.

26. Posted April 10, 2011 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

These look stunning Joumana!

27. Posted April 10, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

You’ve got all the good things I like in these roll and the dough looks fab!

28. Posted April 11, 2011 at 5:53 am | Permalink

mmmm mmmm love the idea of the mandarin juice AND the orange blossom water. these look amazing! i need to try making them when fasting is over.

29. D. Ramadan
    Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:00 am | Permalink

I made these yesterday (with a slight change, dates instead of figs) because my neighbor said she wanted to come over for a “cup of coffee,” since I live in Ramallah this happens often and I always like to make something that goes well coffee or tea and this was PERFECT! Thank you so very much.

Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

@Doua: So happy you liked them! They were gone in my house too, that day!

31. Posted April 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Wow a citrus juice in the dough? That is unusual. And a fig filling is perfect!!!! They look amazing!

32. Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

This looks insanely good! I love the combination of fig and orange as one of my best friends used to bring us this exact jam from Croatia. I bet it’s lovely all wrapped up in brioche!

33. Posted April 12, 2011 at 4:37 am | Permalink

These look amazing, so professional!

34. Posted April 26, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Wow, I got a little overzealous at the 99¢ Store when I found Turkish figs and now I have 5 packs to use up! These look marvelous!