What is Southern, easy, popular and goes with just everything?
Cornbread, that’s what! I picked a recipe, added some corn and diced peppers and frosted it with Puck (your favorite cream cheese spread will do fine) and fresh corn.
INGREDIENTS: 8 INCH CORN CAKE
- 1 cup of stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3 Tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 3 cups of corn (3 ears), briefly cooked
- 1/2 cup of diced peppers
- 1 tablespoon of minced mint or parsley
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, sugar and salt. Add the eggs and yogurt and mix well. Add one cup of corn, the diced peppers and the minced parsley. Pour into a greased pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 400F oven until the cake is puffed up and golden.
- When the corn cake is cool, spread the top with Puck or any other cheese spread and top with the remaining corn. Serve.
NOTE: Puck is a cream cheese spread with a very creamy texture and a mild taste, reminiscent of La Vache qui rit (The Laughing Cow). It can be found in Middle-Eastern store or the international isle of supermarkets. It is not refrigerated unless opened. It is made in Denmark.