Lebanese caramel (Dibs wTahineh)

A sweet snack that we would eat after school; or whenever we said:  ”Let’s have something sweet”. A very traditional concoction that is still served in restaurants in rural areas or at some beaches. A jar of tahini and a jar of molasses is brought to the table and guests pour into a small plate a bit of each and stir and dip bread or cookie in the luscious creamy mixture.

It is our Lebanese caramel: Tahini mixed with carob molasses.

A very creamy, luscious, nutty and very sweet mixture. It may prove addictive to some but never bad for you. Tahini contains many health benefits, including Omega 3s; carob molasses too is chock-ful of good minerals and nutrients.

Where to find carob molasses? In health food stores, Middle-Eastern stores, online (through Amazon, for example).

Can you substitute? Sure, try it with grape molasses or date molasses.

Today, instead of making it on demand (since it takes 5 seconds to make), I figured I would make a small jar to have on hand.

I would eat this instead of  Nutella any day.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 cup of tahini
  • 1/2 cup of carob molasses

Pour the tahini into a bowl; add the carob molasses. Stir for a few seconds until the mixture is combined, smooth and creamy; taste and adjust; if you like it sweeter, add more molasses. Serve with bread or crackers or plain biscuits or (some people like it this way) with crunchy veggies.

I am participating in the World Food event on Thursdays.

1. Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

What a lovely combination!! Like a guilt-free snack!

2. Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

I must have a look for Carob Molasses as this sounds soooooo yummy. Diane

3. Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Delicious! I have both ingredients at home, so I’ll have to try very soon.

4. Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I like carob very much, so I guess I’ll have to find some carob molasses to make this!

5. Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Wow that is an easy one today! I got some grape molasses here, will have to get tahini and try this. Sounds awesome.

6. Julia
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I love having this for breakfast. :) It’s also really soothing when you have a sore throat or cold! I sometimes use mulberry molasses though. Mixing them ahead of time is a great idea..because I am constantly getting things sticky in my fridge, because no matter how I pour the carob/grape/mulberry molasses, it seems to get all over everything… Mixing them ahead of time would definitely help!

7. Posted May 10, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Oh, yum this looks fantastic. I will have to see if I can find some carob molasses. Please add this to our World Food Thursdays bloghop this week!

8. Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Looks delicious .. and having this instead of nutella which tells me it’s got to be super delicious! :)

9. Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

This sounds absolutely delicious. I have tried sesame halva and that was excellent, this sounds even better and more addictive

10. Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Fantastic, Joumana!!! I love learning new healthy snacks like this. :-)

11. Posted May 10, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

I love sweet things on bread…..looks delicious!

12. Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

I CAN NOT wait to run out and pick up a jar of carob molasses! You have the best ideas, Joumana. You had me at ‘better than Nutella’. ;-) What could be better than delicious AND good for you?

13. Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:43 am | Permalink

I can’t think of anything better than nutella. That’s a big statement. I have never had carob molasses. I have to try it out along with all of your other great recipes that you share.

14. Posted May 11, 2011 at 3:00 am | Permalink

Omg, wat a quick and delicious caramel;yummy..

15. Posted May 11, 2011 at 6:17 am | Permalink

You know how much I love Nutella, but I am always happy and curious to try something new.

16. Posted May 11, 2011 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Oooh, I just need to find carob molasses and then I’m definitely going to make this! Thanks for another great idea, Joumana!

17. Posted May 11, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

So easy, but this sounds so good! I love tahini. Just used up the last of what I had in some hummus, but will keep this recipe in mind for when I get some more.

18. Posted May 11, 2011 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Bonsoir Joumana, un bien drôle de caramel qui à l”air très goûteux…

19. Posted May 11, 2011 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Yum! and it couldn’t get any easier to make.
    Mimi

20. Posted May 11, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

J’ai ce qu’il faut mais je vais essayer à petite dose.
    Je ne sais pas résister à ce genre de gourmandises et je dois absolument perdre ce que j’ai accumulé avec tous les desserts faits ces derniers temps.
    A très bientôt.

21. Posted May 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

amazingly simple. simple yet elegant. or maybe elegant because it is simple. either way, carob molasses is now on my shopping list. cheers!

22. Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Wow Joumana, for a sweet tooth like me that ahem, occasionally gets the guilts about eating lots of empty calories, this looks perfect. not sure where I could get carob molasses here though…

23. Posted May 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

This should also be a healthier version than Nutella???:p
    It’s interesting to see all the different types of recipes from diffrent cultures :D

24. Posted May 12, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink

I’m on the hunt for the carob molasses. Tahini is great in sacoury dishes, and I need to explore its sweet side a bit more.

25. Posted May 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

on fait la même, plutôt au petit déjeuner =)

26. Posted May 12, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

mmmm–my mom’s favourite snack!

27. Posted May 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

I love carob but have never tried carob molasses, I will have to look for that. These look delicious :)

28. Posted May 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Ah what a treat! :) We used to get the “dibs baladi” from the village of Douma in Batroun/Lebanon since they produced it locally.. it is amazing and tastes awesome with Lebanese pita bread.

29. Posted May 18, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

This reminds me of the honey tahini I bought in Greece last summer. I will be on the lookout for this carob molasses! What a wonderful topping this must be.

One Trackback

1. By World’s healthiest brownie on June 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm

[...] drizzle Lebanese caramel on your brownies, please click here for the recipe. Tweet [Translate] « Amardeen  Print This [...]