Lebanese caramel (Dibs wTahineh)

A sweet snack that we would eat after school; or whenever we said:  “Let’s have something sweet”. A very traditional concoction that is still served in restaurants in rural areas or at some beaches. A jar of tahini and a jar of molasses is brought to the table and guests pour into a small plate a bit of each and stir and dip bread or cookie in the luscious creamy mixture.

It is our Lebanese caramel: Tahini mixed with carob molasses.

A very creamy, luscious, nutty and very sweet mixture. It may prove addictive to some but never bad for you. Tahini contains many health benefits, including Omega 3s; carob molasses too is chock-ful of good minerals and nutrients.

Where to find carob molasses? In health food stores, Middle-Eastern stores, online (through Amazon, for example).

Can you substitute? Sure, try it with grape molasses or date molasses.

Today, instead of making it on demand (since it takes 5 seconds to make), I figured I would make a small jar to have on hand.

I would eat this instead of  Nutella any day.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 cup of tahini
  • 1/2 cup of carob molasses

Pour the tahini into a bowl; add the carob molasses. Stir for a few seconds until the mixture is combined, smooth and creamy; taste and adjust; if you like it sweeter, add more molasses. Serve with bread or crackers or plain biscuits or (some people like it this way) with crunchy veggies.

I am participating in the World Food event on Thursdays.

1. Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

What a lovely combination!! Like a guilt-free snack!

2. Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

I must have a look for Carob Molasses as this sounds soooooo yummy. Diane

3. Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Delicious! I have both ingredients at home, so I’ll have to try very soon.

4. Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I like carob very much, so I guess I’ll have to find some carob molasses to make this!

5. Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Wow that is an easy one today! I got some grape molasses here, will have to get tahini and try this. Sounds awesome.

6. Julia
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I love having this for breakfast. :) It’s also really soothing when you have a sore throat or cold! I sometimes use mulberry molasses though. Mixing them ahead of time is a great idea..because I am constantly getting things sticky in my fridge, because no matter how I pour the carob/grape/mulberry molasses, it seems to get all over everything… Mixing them ahead of time would definitely help!

7. Posted May 10, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Oh, yum this looks fantastic. I will have to see if I can find some carob molasses. Please add this to our World Food Thursdays bloghop this week!

8. Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Looks delicious .. and having this instead of nutella which tells me it’s got to be super delicious! :)

9. Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

This sounds absolutely delicious. I have tried sesame halva and that was excellent, this sounds even better and more addictive

10. Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Fantastic, Joumana!!! I love learning new healthy snacks like this. :-)

11. Posted May 10, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

I love sweet things on bread…..looks delicious!

12. Posted May 10, 2011 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

I CAN NOT wait to run out and pick up a jar of carob molasses! You have the best ideas, Joumana. You had me at ‘better than Nutella’. ;-) What could be better than delicious AND good for you?

13. Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:43 am | Permalink

I can’t think of anything better than nutella. That’s a big statement. I have never had carob molasses. I have to try it out along with all of your other great recipes that you share.

14. Posted May 11, 2011 at 3:00 am | Permalink

Omg, wat a quick and delicious caramel;yummy..

15. Posted May 11, 2011 at 6:17 am | Permalink

You know how much I love Nutella, but I am always happy and curious to try something new.

16. Posted May 11, 2011 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Oooh, I just need to find carob molasses and then I’m definitely going to make this! Thanks for another great idea, Joumana!

17. Posted May 11, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

So easy, but this sounds so good! I love tahini. Just used up the last of what I had in some hummus, but will keep this recipe in mind for when I get some more.

18. Posted May 11, 2011 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Bonsoir Joumana, un bien drôle de caramel qui à l”air très goûteux…

19. Posted May 11, 2011 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Yum! and it couldn’t get any easier to make.
    Mimi

20. Posted May 11, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink

J’ai ce qu’il faut mais je vais essayer à petite dose.
    Je ne sais pas résister à ce genre de gourmandises et je dois absolument perdre ce que j’ai accumulé avec tous les desserts faits ces derniers temps.
    A très bientôt.

21. Posted May 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

amazingly simple. simple yet elegant. or maybe elegant because it is simple. either way, carob molasses is now on my shopping list. cheers!

22. Posted May 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Wow Joumana, for a sweet tooth like me that ahem, occasionally gets the guilts about eating lots of empty calories, this looks perfect. not sure where I could get carob molasses here though…

23. Posted May 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

This should also be a healthier version than Nutella???:p
    It’s interesting to see all the different types of recipes from diffrent cultures :D

24. Posted May 12, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink

I’m on the hunt for the carob molasses. Tahini is great in sacoury dishes, and I need to explore its sweet side a bit more.

25. Posted May 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

on fait la même, plutôt au petit déjeuner =)

26. Posted May 12, 2011 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

mmmm–my mom’s favourite snack!

27. Posted May 13, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

I love carob but have never tried carob molasses, I will have to look for that. These look delicious :)

28. Posted May 13, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Ah what a treat! :) We used to get the “dibs baladi” from the village of Douma in Batroun/Lebanon since they produced it locally.. it is amazing and tastes awesome with Lebanese pita bread.

29. Posted May 18, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

This reminds me of the honey tahini I bought in Greece last summer. I will be on the lookout for this carob molasses! What a wonderful topping this must be.

30. Aaron
    Posted July 4, 2014 at 6:04 am | Permalink

I was reluctant at first because I don’t like the taste of carob molasses by itself or in drinks, but the combination with tahina is delicious! Thanks for posting.

One Trackback

1. By World’s healthiest brownie on June 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm

[...] drizzle Lebanese caramel on your brownies, please click here for the recipe. Tweet [Translate] « Amardeen  Print This [...]