Spiced raw garbanzo beans

When garbanzos get harvested, one can find them in Lebanon sold from street vendors on the side of the road, in big bushy bunches with their tender husks; people will buy them and spend a leisurely afternoon peeling them and eating them with a glass of arak or beer.

Here in the US, raw garbanzos are found in Middle-Eastern stores or hispanic stores, maybe even at farmer’s markets; since they are produced in the US, they can also be obtained from local producers.

Raw garbanzo beans are light and crunchy; no trace of starch here. Simply squeeze a lime on them and toss them in your favorite spices; paprika, cumin, turmeric, dry mustard, salt, black pepper, could all be used. Eat as a snack anytime.

1. Posted May 27, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Better than popcorn! Love the spices and that crunch.

2. Posted May 27, 2011 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

These just brought back childhood memories I never thought I had! :) Are they in season now?

3. Posted May 27, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

I think I am going to look for them!…..your description about the taste of them is tempting me!….Tomorrow, I have go to the Lebanese grocery store here….How do you call garbanzos beans in Lebano?……Abrazotes, Marcela

Posted May 27, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

@Marcela: you say “hummus”.

@Mark: What a grand idea! I love wasabi.

@Dana: Yes, they have been selling them for a few weeks now.

5. Verkin
    Posted May 27, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

They are fantastic, we are able to find them at the Mexican supermarket.
    I’ll try the spices with lime, great idea.

Thank you so much.

6. Posted May 27, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Sorry to say I’ve never seen them raw here in Japan. Will look harder now! Shukran!

7. Posted May 27, 2011 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

ahhh Hummus Akhdar!! I haven’t had it in ages. We used to buy them in bunches with their leaves/roots and just walk (kazdir) and have fun eating them.. so lovely!

8. Posted May 28, 2011 at 12:38 am | Permalink

How interesting! I’ve never had garbanzo beans raw before, but they look so fresh and inviting. Lime squeezed on top sounds wonderful. :-)

9. Posted May 28, 2011 at 2:02 am | Permalink

I love these! I’m lucky because we have street vendors all over the place that sell these here :)

10. Posted May 28, 2011 at 2:20 am | Permalink

:) I have never seen green chickpeas!!! Great recipe!

11. Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:19 am | Permalink

I can’t think of a better way to slow the day’s pace than peeling and popping these little baubles in your mouth. On those infrequent occasions when they are available, there is always a plan to cook with them, but they never make it that long. Shall try spritz of lime next time. Very nice.

12. Posted May 28, 2011 at 5:40 am | Permalink

Excellent. Try them coated with Japanese Wasabi too, I love them that way.

13. Posted May 28, 2011 at 7:32 am | Permalink

Those roasted garbanzo beans look so GOOD! Great clicks too.

14. Posted May 28, 2011 at 8:34 am | Permalink

When I get back to NYC I’m going to go hunting for these!

15. Posted May 28, 2011 at 9:13 am | Permalink

These sound like a nice light snack to enjoy with a cold beverage. My hubby loves snacks that have to be peeled (like bizzer) so I bet he’d love these too!

16. Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Encore une recette pleine de saveurs.
    Je ne connaissais pas du tout.
    A très bientôt.

17. Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I just found these at the local Hispanic grocery, and I’ve been meaning to google up something to do with them. Did not know you could eat them raw. Very cool … thanks!

18. Posted May 28, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

They are such a beautiful shade of green too! I’d love to find and try some.

19. Posted May 28, 2011 at 11:08 am | Permalink

This is something I’ve always wanted to try and have never found them raw in MN. I must make a note to seek them out when I travel – you never know where they may turn up. Lucky you and street vendors!

20. Posted May 28, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Apparently, we occasionally get fresh garbanzos at the farmer’s markets here in the bay area, but I’ve never seen them. I am dying to try them!

21. Posted May 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

I’ve never seen fresh green chickpeas before. I would really love to try them the way you have prepared them.

22. Posted May 28, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Yummy, although those in the family with nut allergies are on the outs. THe raw beans remind me of a sim8ilar use of soy beans in Japan.

23. Posted May 28, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

What a fantastic idea! I must try this!

24. Posted May 28, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

wow this looks like an awesome snack, wish we had a good middle eastern store here, one thing I miss about living in Cleveland OH the only thing he he

25. Denise
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 6:24 am | Permalink

I love these! I live in Astoria, nyc – and in the spring they can be found at all of the produce shops. I often blanch them lightly and add to salads and soups. Or just leave on the table for casual grazing.

26. Hagit
    Posted May 29, 2011 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Here the name is “khamle malan”… means “full pod” usually sold in open markets after a quick toast over open fire which gives it a smoky sweet flavor,

27. Posted May 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

I’ve seen fresh garbanzo beans at the market, but have never purchased them because I didn’t know how to prepare them. I also thought that they would be starchy. I’m looking forward to finding them at the market and trying them. It will be nice to taste the contrast.

28. Posted May 30, 2011 at 1:37 am | Permalink

I had never seen raw chick peas before! I never even somehow thought about them being raw.

29. Posted May 30, 2011 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

I bought some fresh garbanzos beans and have been looking forward to using them. I had never seen them in the stores before until earlier last week. I’ve read other sites suggesting that they’re eaten raw with lime and spices and so glad to have found your post! Hope it’s something I’ll be able to find in the future too…love ‘em!

30. Posted May 31, 2011 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

i’ve never tasted raw chickpeas, but as much as i like the mature form, i’m excited to consider the unripe version!

31. Posted June 6, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

These are so wonderful…will need to look for them :)

32. Posted June 6, 2011 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Of course, I have never had a raw garbanzo bean and you have definitely motivated me to search them out! Your description is mouthwatering. I have been in a huge blogging slump lately. Posted about 4 times since February, and have hardly read anything at all. I miss it, yet am so overwhelmed by how far behind I am that I find myself defeated when I look at all of the reads in my inbox daily. However, what inspiration!
    Valerie