Lychee and labneh frozen yogurt

For those of you still fighting cold weather, I am sincerely sorry; temperatures are in the high nineties over here and about the only retail eateries  always full of people are frozen yogurt shops.

Well, labneh is drained yogurt, right? I had a jar of store-bought labneh in the fridge and I used it  to make this, mixing it with a can of lychées and the result was conclusive. I will be using labneh from now on, it is perfect for a frozen yogurt treat once in a while.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 can of lychees in syrup (8 ounces or 225 g.), lychees drained
  • 8 ounces of labneh
  • rind of one lime
  • 4 tablespoons of powdered sugar

1. Drain the can of lychées and reserve the syrup; place the lychée and 1/2 cup of the syrup in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is puréed; add 8 ounces of labneh and the powdered sugar and process. Add the lime zest and process.
  2. Place in the bowl of the ice-cream maker and let it run until the mixture turns into frozen yogurt. Store in the freezer.

NOTE: If you don’t have an ice-cream maker, freeze the mixture and then place the frozen mixture cut into big chunks in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times and you will get the texture of ice-cream.

I made this using a jar of commercial labneh; I am not sure how the result would turn out with homemade labneh at this point.

1. Posted June 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Oh I love lychee!! This is my kind of dessert!

2. Posted June 3, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

What a combo! Talk about fusion food! I am so curious about this treat – i love lycees and I love creamy, lovely yogurt. As soon as I get y ice cream maker out of storage (along with the rest of my kitchen gadgets) I will be making this one!

3. Posted June 3, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

You’re really milking your labneh to the last drop! This sounds amazing…I’d never have thought of pairing it with lychee!

4. Posted June 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

WOW Joumana! You’ve really hit it out of the ball park with this one. LOVE lychees and you are just the one to turn it into such a unique summer delight :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

5. Posted June 3, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

I tried canned lychees a couple of months ago for the first time and I really loved it. Your frozen yoghurt sounds delicious and recipes like this make me want to buy an ice cream machine :)

6. Posted June 3, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

This does sound wonderful. I’ve only recently discovered how delicious lychees are. I’m sure I’d love this.

7. Posted June 4, 2011 at 1:50 am | Permalink

This is pure genious! I LOVE frozen yogurt, but have never made it at home! I always have labane in my fridge so this is a perfect recipe! I am going to try to mix it with strawberries! YUM!

8. Posted June 4, 2011 at 2:01 am | Permalink

Wonderful! Lychee is such a divine tasting fruit.

9. Posted June 4, 2011 at 2:27 am | Permalink

tres appétissant, bonne recette, bravo.

10. Posted June 4, 2011 at 5:34 am | Permalink

Hard to believe but I’ve never tried labneh before! One of these days must pick it up. I am a big fan of yogurt… even my dog loves it! What a lovely idea for a healthy refreshing treat in any weather!

11. Posted June 4, 2011 at 6:14 am | Permalink

juste ce qu’il nous faut car à Paris c’est grosse chaleur !!pierre

12. Posted June 4, 2011 at 7:23 am | Permalink

This is yum…the presentation is awesome..I loved every bit of it..
    Reva

13. Posted June 4, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Yummy! Lychee is my favourite Summer fruit!. I love your serving bowls too:)

14. Posted June 4, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Love the floral aroma and flavour of lychees, they sound wonderful in an ice cream!

15. Posted June 4, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

OMG! That sounds delicious and amazing. Thank you so much. Your presentation is to die for. Bel Hanna wel sheffa!

16. Posted June 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Thats an exotic and refreshing frozen yogurt..

17. Posted June 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Wow, Joumana, I love what you do with labneh. You are a constant source of inspiration. Thanks.

18. Posted June 4, 2011 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

If only I had a ice cream maker.. this looks so perfect!

19. Posted June 5, 2011 at 5:06 am | Permalink

The flavour combination sounds amazing. P.S avid follower of your blog. Love how you modernise Middle Eastern food.

20. Posted June 5, 2011 at 6:40 am | Permalink

I have never shared in the pleasure of Lychee. I must change that ASAP.

We are cooling down after a temporary heat wave but as luck would have it, I do believe National Frozen Yogurt Day is on the calendar for celebration. It may have passed but no mind, June is Frozen Yogurt Month out here and I will be sharing this link!!!

Thanks for sharing, Joumana. Your dessert looks refreshingly tantalizing!!!

21. Posted June 5, 2011 at 8:46 am | Permalink

The only bought labneh I have ever seen was marinated in olive oil and herbs — delicious for eating but no good for icecream! I must try making my own frozen yoghurt, although probably not with lychees.

22. Posted June 5, 2011 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Very nice. Lychee is always very refreshing, as are limes.

23. Posted June 6, 2011 at 6:13 am | Permalink

I love how you come up with such original combinations! How do you do it?

24. Posted June 6, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Joumana, I just like saying Lychee and Labne; it’s enough of a reason to make this, in addition to the reasons of being tasty and unique. I’ll be bringing this to a cookout this weekend. The guests won’t know what hit ‘em. Thanks!

25. Posted June 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Oooh, two flavors I love but have never tried together. This is a must try recipe! Great idea!

26. Posted June 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

It is off and on warm here, but ice cream is welcome :) Love your additional tips for non-ice cream maker owners. thank you!

27. Posted June 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful combination! I bought an ice cream maker at the end of last summer and have not used it yet and I have some labneh in my refrigerator…sounds like something I will try this week-end. Nice post!

28. Posted June 6, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Un coup de fraîcheur sur les yaourts, c’est trop bon….

29. Posted June 7, 2011 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Oohhh…I’m always looking for new frozen dessert ideas, and I must say that this is one of the most creative I’ve come across in a while. Lebneh and lychee….brilliant! – S

30. Kate
    Posted June 8, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

This is so perfect! And delicious, so easy to make! And not as expensive as Crème fraiche, which I learned to make last year for ice cream. But the hot weather made me cheat. I froze the mixture in ice cube trays and put some of the cubes in the processor for single servings. Homemade lebne works fine!

31. Posted May 18, 2013 at 6:22 am | Permalink

Authentic LV Outlet Store Locations Do Louis Vuitton Have Outlet Stores http://louisvuittonoutletk5.blogspot.com/2013/05/do-louis-vuitton-have-outlet-stores.html