If you have a can of sardines staring at you and no inspiration, make a croque-sardines!
Inspired by the ubiquitous croque-monsieur, except my croque-sardines has Middle-Eastern flavor.
Get some rustic bread, slather a slice with muhammara, layer a few sardines; in the meantime, broil another slice with goat cheese.
NOTE: For a sardine-hummus sandwich, click here.
INGREDIENTS: 2 sandwiches
- 1 can of sardines (I used Morrocan sardines in olive oil)
- 6 ounces of goat cheese
- 1 small egg white (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic mashed in a mortar with a dash of salt
- 1 cup of muhammara
- A handful of arugula or any other greens
- Mix the goat cheese with a mashed clove of garlic and the egg white (optional). Spread on a slice of bread and toast in the oven for 4 minutes until the goat cheese is set and warm.
- In the meantime, slather some muhammara on the other slice, place the drained and wiped sardines on top and a few leaves of arugula. Top with the other slice and serve.
Muhammara recipe is available here.