Banana Muffins

I am prefectly aware that the world does not need another banana muffin recipe; notwithstanding, I am sharing this one because it originally was published in one of Maida Heatter’s cookbooks and after trying it once, I stuck with it for the following twenty years.

Why? Because it was moist, had little sugar and lots of banana flavor.

INGREDIENTS: The original recipe calls for half these ingredients.

• 4 Bananas, extra ripe (skin black), about 14 ounces (400 g.)
  • 2 Large eggs
  • 4 ounces of oil (125 ml.)
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 2/3 cup of raw sugar (can use brown sugar, packed into measuring cup)
  • 1 Tablespoon of grape molasses (optional)
  • 3/4 cup of golden raisins (optional)

Dry ingredients:

• 2 cups of sifted all-purpose flour (sift into the measuring cup)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg (optional)

Place two medium-sized bowls in front of you: In one bowl, place the ripe bananas; mash them with a fork. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the oil, vanilla, sugar and molasses (if using) and mix well.

Place the raisins in a sieve over a saucepan with simmering water; leave them in the sieve for 10 minutes and remove from the heat. They will swell up a bit.

Place the sifted flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg in the other bowl. Mix well with a wire whisk to combine. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, add the raisins and mix to combine only until the flour is no longer visible.

Pour into a muffin tin or 3 small loaf pans lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375F for about 20 to 30 minutes, checking after 15 minutes to see how they are coming along. The muffins need to be golden-brown and puffed up and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out dry.

Some bits of banana may still be visible in the cooked batter.

1. Posted September 25, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

There can never be too many banana muffin recipes. :) Love how you used a square shaped muffin tin. I would fight for those 4 corners’ crispiness. :)

2. Posted September 25, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Maida is the best, so I can understand why this recipe is a keeper. Love the square shape of your muffin pan!

3. Posted September 25, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

The world can always use a great banana muffin! I love the addition of the raisins. Yum!

4. Posted September 25, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Hi Joumana,

You must have read my mind because I have 11 overripe bananas waiting to be used…I’m just curious, does the grape molasses change the flavor of the muffins much? Can you actually taste it in these or your banana bread?

Posted September 25, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

@Amy: actually for such a small amount, I could not detect it. It is like adding some dark honey, it gives more moisture, that’s about it.

6. Posted September 25, 2011 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

There is always room for another GOOD banana bread/muffin recipe as so many of the ones out there fall short of the mark. If it’s good enough for Maida Heatter (and you), then its good enough for me.

7. Posted September 25, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Beautiful muffins!

Happy Monday!

8. Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Exactly. Why shouldn’t the world be deprived of this?

9. Posted September 26, 2011 at 12:32 am | Permalink

I meant should!

10. Posted September 26, 2011 at 1:29 am | Permalink

When I lived in Florida using up all the bananas from my tree was a challange… now I don’t have the problem anymore, but I wish I had some bananas on hand to try this recipe.

11. Posted September 26, 2011 at 4:01 am | Permalink

OH MY WORD!!!! I rate this 10 Stars!!!!! Made it exactly to recipe and it is outstanding!…

12. Posted September 26, 2011 at 6:41 am | Permalink

I don’t get tired of banana bread/muffins. I think so many people have variations on it because its just so good :D
    *kisses* HH

13. Posted September 26, 2011 at 7:28 am | Permalink

I’ll go for anything with better banana flavor, and those square muffins are very cool!

14. Posted September 26, 2011 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Dear Joumana – There is good and there is great and we can always do with more of your spicy-flavorful great :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

15. Posted September 26, 2011 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Oooh Joumana, these banana muffins look like the real deal, delightful & heavenly!

Another must make of yours!

Kisses from belgium to you! :)

16. Posted September 26, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

You are right..The world does not need another banana muffin recipe, but I would give “my kingdom” for that muffin NOW..I feel tired and a bit gloomy; so that…..it would be just perfect!

17. Posted September 26, 2011 at 11:35 am | Permalink

What a neat muffin pan! And a little sugar but a lot of banana is super appealing to me! I have some ripened bananas waiting for a recipe just like this :D

18. Posted September 26, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

This is exactly what I will be making tonight or tomorrow. Such a yummy fall favorite. ;) Or anytime favorite, actually. I love your pan.

19. Posted September 26, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Yes, the world can always use another banana muffin recipe – especially if it’s healthier! I want the bananas to scream to me with every bite ;)

20. Posted September 27, 2011 at 2:05 am | Permalink

Okay, any Maida Heatter recipe is a friend of mine and I would even put aside my own banana bread recipe for a try of these. They do look perfect.

21. Posted September 27, 2011 at 5:57 am | Permalink

When I started reading this post, I was thinking, I just made banana muffins yesterday.
    But after reading the ingredients list and saw how different the taste will be with all those spices then the next most obvious step for me will be to copy the recipe.

Thanks for another great inspiration.

Mely

22. Posted September 27, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

I love banana breads and muffins…these look wonderful :)

23. Posted September 28, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Un dessert qui nous donne la banane….

24. Andrea A
    Posted October 20, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Do you think this would work with a Gluten Free flour substitute?

Posted October 20, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

@Andrea: I don’t know but I would try it. I am sure it would!