Chickpeas with sage

I had set out to make chickpea gnocchis; I am not sure if it was the recipe (it did come from one of the best-looking French/Italian blogs out there) or my poor skills, but the fact was that this big lump of dough did not inspire me and I threw it away.

Using  sage from  the patio,  walnuts from the freezer,  leftover chickpeas  and butter, I made this instead.

It is crunchy, its delicious, it has the subtle fragrance of roasted butter (what the French call beurre noisette).

Did you ever try fried sage leaves? You will eat these crispy and dainty gems  like popcorn.

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 cups of chickpeas, cooked
  • 1/3 cup of unsalted butter
  • salt, to taste
  • 24 sage leaves (or more)
  • 1/2 cup of walnuts, chopped coarsely (or pecans or hazelnuts)

1. Place the butter in a skillet; let it froth then drop the sage leaves and walnuts; let the leaves fry gently in butter and then add the chickpeas and some salt. Combine  and serve.

NOTE: Be careful not to let the butter burn, it should just take on a caramel color and hazelnut fragrance.

1. Posted September 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

A marvelous flavor combo! Sage is such a beautifully fragrant herb.

2. Posted September 16, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Roasted butter and fresh sage is a fabulous combination of flavors. Very earthy scent. I have sage growing in my yard, it is a beautiful bush.

As always, great way to prepare chick peas. The gnocchi can be tried again later. :-)

Velva

3. Posted September 16, 2011 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

That combo sounds great. Are the chickpeas supposed to be crunchy or just their regular texture?

Posted September 16, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

@Lentil Breakdown: By the time they get crunchy, the butter would have turned black, so no, just stir-fried a little bit that’s all/

5. Posted September 16, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

mmm i adore this recipe! i love sage and butter.. and i just made hummus for 200 people and made waaay too many chickpeas so i need to use them… this is perfect!

6. Posted September 17, 2011 at 4:05 am | Permalink

Flavourful chickpeas..

7. Posted September 17, 2011 at 4:28 am | Permalink

I was right!

8. Posted September 17, 2011 at 6:52 am | Permalink

Sounds yummy. Reminds me that I should go buy a new sage plant for my balcony. :)

9. Posted September 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

I love what you did with the chickpeas instead of the gnocchi! I love the idea of the fried sage too. I can imagine the wonderful flavor already.

10. Posted September 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Bonne idée la sauge que je n’utilise pas souvent mais que j’aime beaucoup avec le porc justement… Elle se marie bien dans cette belle recette parfumée… bises

11. Posted September 18, 2011 at 2:18 am | Permalink

Fried sage is delicious! I like the idea of making chickpeas as if they were gnocchi.

12. Posted September 18, 2011 at 8:53 am | Permalink

I love it when what we intended isn’t where we ended up. I love chick peas and sage and butter and have never put them together.

13. Posted September 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

This dish looks gorgeous, so simple and yet…..just the thought of beurre noisette is making me drool.

14. Roger
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Hello Joumana, thank you for all this good recipes and for the creativity as well. I am on a diet now, I am not allowed to have any sweets or fried items or fat. I can have a little bit of carbohydrate and limited amount of protein. I like very much the Moutabbal Batenjan, but I can not use the sesame paste. I read somewhere that I can substitute the sesame paste with yoghurt is this right? And if you have other recipes which can suit my case I will be very thankful.

Posted September 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

@Roger: Yes, my aunt does her mutabbal with a touch of yogurt and it tastes fabulous! (I have over 650 recipes in this blog, so I am sure a lot of them would suit your present diet):)

16. Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:45 am | Permalink

Chickpeas gnocchi are something I’m still working on myself :) I have a decent recipe I use, but they do come out quite heavy and they are not always very easy to work with (occasional disaster melting while cooking etc.). On the other hand I have found a perfect recipe for gnocchi made from a chickpea flour polenta, a little bit like gnocchi alla romana, if you are familiar with them. That is a killer of a recipe (it is on my blog’s archive if you are curious).

17. Posted September 19, 2011 at 6:17 am | Permalink

Well, if the first recipe didn’t work out, you’ve made up for it tenfold with this – it looks gorgeous! I love sage, too. big bonus :)

18. Posted September 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

la noix et les pois chiches je n’y avais pas pensé mais ca m’a l’air délicieux et bien croquants!

19. Posted September 20, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Sage is an herb I always have during the warm season in my balcony. I love this idea of pairing with he chickpeas. I am even thinking in adding a little crush pepper to it.

Again thanks for the recipe.

Mely

20. Posted September 20, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

I can see me going through a lot of these!

21. Posted September 28, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink