Duck bites on a stick

An easy cocktail or light party fare. The duck is bought precooked and is simply cut-up and marinated a bit. The apricots are soaked overnight in hot water to soften and get plump. About thirty minutes or so before grilling or warming the sticks in the oven, a sweet and dark sauce simmers until syrupy combining white wine and grape molasses.

INGREDIENTS: 2 to 4 servings

• 1 duck breast, preferably precooked (to save time)
  • marinade: olive oil, a dash of thyme or zaatar, a touch of white pepper (optional)
  • 1 cup of white wine
  • 4 tbsp of grape molasses (can replace with honey)
  • 1 cup of dried apricots

1. Cut the duck in bite-size pieces; marinate in a little olive oil and thyme and pepper. Cover and set aside in the fridge.
  2. Pour boiling water over the apricots and let them plump up for one hour or longer.
  3. When ready to serve, heat the white wine and grape molasses and simmer until syrupy. Heat the grill, assemble the sticks with apricots cut in half and the duck pieces. Grill for a few minutes, watching to prevent burning the sticks. Serve immediately with the sauce.

1. Posted October 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

That is a great idea!

2. Angel of the North
    Posted October 1, 2011 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

How long do you rest the duck after grilling?

3. Posted October 1, 2011 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Love the combination of duck and apricot here!!

4. Posted October 2, 2011 at 3:25 am | Permalink

Looks delicious – with an interesting touch of apricots instead of the everpresent oranges (works with mango as well)

5. Posted October 2, 2011 at 4:29 am | Permalink

il fait de nouveau un bel été à paris alors on ressort les bbq!!!
    prete pour la semaine prochaine?!! moi oui !!
    pierre

Posted October 2, 2011 at 5:10 am | Permalink

@Angel of the North: the duck does not need to rest and can be eaten right away.

7. Posted October 2, 2011 at 7:37 am | Permalink

This is such a great appetizer, something really different (for me anyway). I can just imaginge how good it tastes…now I have to try it! :)

8. Posted October 2, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Une jolie recette qui ne sera pas mise au ” coin-coin ” et se retrouvera souvent sur les tables apéritives. Bisous et passe une belle journée

9. Posted October 2, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Festive looking and such a good combination.

10. Posted October 2, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

The duck and the apricots are such a lovely combination. What a fantastic snack!
    *kisses* HH

11. Posted October 2, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

These look great! I have some friends coming over for drinks and I think I’ll make these as a snack. Yum!

12. Posted October 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Great, I like using dried fruit for dishes.

13. Posted October 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

I just made a chicken curry with stewed apricots and loved it.. what a great flavor! I imagine it would be spectacular with duck… I do love duck!

14. Posted October 3, 2011 at 2:51 am | Permalink

Your grape molasses drives me crazy! I have to find a bottle of this. I have pomagranate molasses and love what it does to a recipe. And how I love meat and game with fruit. Gorgeous duck dish!

15. Posted October 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Wow, what a nice combination Joumana…apricot and duck. I love the way you serve it…on a stick, so practical :-)
    Hope you have a great week ahead!

16. Posted October 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

I love the simplicity combined with the great taste (although I confess I don’t eat duck) but some easy substitutions would work!

17. Posted October 5, 2011 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Voilà une table où j’aurai bien aimer être et c’est sûr que je ne serai pas rester dans mon ” coin-coin “….

18. Posted October 5, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

Ta petite sauce me plaît bien … Excellente recette ! Bon, je continue à remonter le temps … ;o)