Happy New Year 2012~
Wishing you good health, prosperity and lots of joy!
A tiny sugar cookie shaped like a button is flavored with chocolate, coated with ganache and dabbed with a whisper of gold leaf.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or coffee
- Place the eggs, sugar in a food processor bowl or mixer. Process to mix well, about 1 minute; add the butter, vanilla and melted chocolate and mix to combine well. In a bowl mix the baking powder, salt and flour with a whisk.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture, taking care not to overmix once the flour is no longer visible. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for one hour or longer.
- Shape the dough into small balls, 3/4 inch in diameter; place on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper. Bake in a 350F oven for 5 minutes checking if the cookies are puffed up; bake one or two minutes longer and let them cool.
- 3 ounces of bittersweet chocolate (I bar of Lindt excellence or 70% chocolate)
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/2 cup of whipping cream
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- Pour the cream into a saucepan; scald it and place chunks of chocolate in it; add the honey and stir gently until the mixture is smooth and shiny. Add the butter and stir to combine. This cream can be kept in a plastic bowl, covered, at room temperature for a day or in the fridge or frozen; to reheat, bring to room temperature and heat gently on the stove or in the microwave in 30 second increments.
- Dip each cookie in the cream and place on a piece of wax paper in the fridge for 10 minutes to set. Place a tiny bit of gold leaf on each cookie with a small knife or fork. Serve.