Certain kitchen jobs are just not fun: Like plucking artichokes. Fortunately, the bottoms are available in all Middle-Eastern shops in the US or Canada and in every supermarket in Lebanon.
These are filled with a spinach custard; baked and topped with a slice of hard-boiled egg; it would be great too with a poached egg come to think of it!
INGREDIENTS: 6 servings
- 1 bag of artichoke bottoms
- 1 pound of spinach, washed well
- 2 cups of milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 4 tbsp of unsalted butter
- salt, white pepper and grated nutmeg, to taste
- dash of paprika
- 1 cup of shredded swiss or other hard cheese
- Boil the artichoke bottoms in salted and lemony water for 8 minutes or till tender; drain and set aside. Cook the spinach in 1/2 cup of water till wilted, drain and squeeze well; chop the spinach.
- Make the white sauce: melt the butter till frothy, add the flour, stir and add the milk gradually stirring till creamy and thick; add the spices to taste. Add the spinach. Cool the mixture and whisk in 2 eggs then the cheese. Spoon into an ovenproof dish and onto each bottom.
- Bake for about 15 minutes in a 350F oven; serve with sliced hard-boiled eggs.