Lebanese cucumbers (Khyar)

These cucumbers are very crunchy and have almost no seeds; they have been available this entire winter as well as during the summer.

Serving cucumbers  as a snack is common here along with roasted pistachios.

1. Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Wow, and apparently loads of packets of cigarettes!

I love how they still have the flowers attached though – very cool.

2. Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful spread!

3. Posted February 28, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

These cucumbers look delicious…wish I could buy them here in the states!

Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:01 am | Permalink

@Unfortunately, a lot of people smoke cigarettes in Lebanon; this photo was taken in my cousin’s home. Personally I don’t smoke and can’t stand the smoke inside a house!

@Chris: You are totally right! Lebanese folks would want to include and make everyone in their home feel comfortable including smokers!

5. Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:36 am | Permalink

I love them, especially at breakfast.
    We make cacık with them. Cacık make with tiny cut cucumber and yoğurt.
    You can add garlic and dried mint.

6. Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

I wish I could find them here – they look so firm and crunchy. I’ve seen this type sometimes in ethnic shops, but never this fresh.

7. Chris
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink

In spite of the negative smoking connotation, that bowl of cigarette packs is yet another display of the extent of Lebanese hospitality. Make EVERYONE feel welcome and catered to. That’s how it was in my home.

8. Posted February 29, 2012 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

So healthy! I can hardly wait for cucumbers to be in season for us.

9. Posted March 2, 2012 at 3:39 am | Permalink

Are these like Persian cucumbers? I love them! Seeing that bowl full of sigarettes for guests on the coffee table reminds me of my childhood. You don’t see that very much anymore in American or European households.

10. Posted March 5, 2012 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Hi Joumana I love your blog and I have just discovered it.. I am jordanian,, and love your cooking and your preservation of lebanese culture and cuisine.

Posted March 5, 2012 at 6:30 am | Permalink

@Lara: Thanks for the praise and I am off to discover your site as well!

12. Posted March 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

How did I miss this post! The cucumbers are gorgeous, and I love that they are set out as snacks.

13. diane
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 8:17 am | Permalink

I am trying to locate seeds to grow these cucumbers in the US. They are so delicious, but I am having trouble identifying the type or name of the specific cucumber. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted April 3, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

@Diane: Here is a link from a fellow blogger left on facebook regarding these cucumbers. http://sustainableseedco.com/Lebanese-Mirella-Cucumber.html

15. Lynne
    Posted November 28, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I love these cucumbers, Joumani! We are celebrating our family Thanksgiving tomorrow (Friday) to make traveling easier on my daughter & son-in-law (to make the yearly trek between in-laws easier with my now one year old granddaughter). I bought a huge amount to serve tomorrow – crunching on these are a great alternative to the rest of the heavy meal.

Was looking through your archives for recipes, but these are so good, they taste great on their own. I think I’ll just serve them plain, cut in four long sections. Delish!