Pita and onion fries

Chef Ramzi Choueiry was the first Lebanese chef to showcase the regional variations in traditional Lebanese cuisine; in his monumental Culinary Heritage of Lebanon he explored the country, stopping at remote villages and transcribing recipes local folks would give him.

This happens to be one of them, stunning in its simplicity: just fry pita croutons and onions in olive oil and douse in a little lemon.

I sprinkled some sumac instead, since this spice was traditionally used as a substitute for lemon when citrus was not in season.

Pita is delicious fried and this simple recipe could be adapted by adding all kinds of veggies or topping an omelette or just about anything that could use some crunch.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 pita bread
  • 1 or 2 large onions
  • 1/2 cup of olive oil
  • 1 tbsp of sumac or 1 lemon
  • salt, to taste
  1. Using kitchen scissors, cut the pita bread in small squares. Cut the onion into thin slices. Heat the olive oil in a skillet and add the pita squares; fry till golden-brown and crispy; remove the bread with a spoon and drain on paper towels;  fry the onion  slices until they become golden. Salt to taste and either squeeze a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice or sprinkle a tablespoon of sumac over the dish. Serve at room temperature or warm.

1. Posted February 2, 2012 at 8:27 am | Permalink

I love fried anything (who doesn’t?) but onions have got to be at the top of the list.

2. Posted February 2, 2012 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Seriously cant take my eyes from ur irresistible click,super tempting fries..

3. Posted February 2, 2012 at 8:34 am | Permalink

What a scrumptious combination!

4. Posted February 2, 2012 at 9:14 am | Permalink

How can something so simple look so good. I would never have thought to put these two together. Perfect with sandwiches, etc.

5. Posted February 2, 2012 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Well, when topped with those enticing onions, who could resist?

6. Posted February 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Simply delightful and delectable!! LOVE this gorgeous plate!

7. Posted February 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

J’adore les oignons frits même si je n’arrive pas à les faire croustillants…

8. Posted February 2, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

C’est très beau et ça doit être délicieux en plus. Je suis preneuse.
    A très bientôt

9. Posted February 2, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

RHoo ça c’est sublime ! Et la photo ! Quelle photo !
    Bises
    Hélène

10. Posted February 2, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness, Joumana, what a perfectly splendid savory, crunchy, salty snack. :-)

11. Posted February 2, 2012 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Simple and great! Love the crunchiness.

12. Posted February 3, 2012 at 2:31 am | Permalink

I love this simple recipe! And you are right, it would be great over an omelette!

13. Posted February 3, 2012 at 6:19 am | Permalink

I am sure it is as good as it looks! I love those onion fries!

14. Posted February 3, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Love the simplicity of this dish. Amazing!!!

15. Posted February 3, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful combination for a tasty snack!

16. Posted February 3, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

So simple and elegant snack. Browned onions taste sweet and smoky it matches perfectly well with the sourness of the sumac & lemon.
    This dish with a glass of cold beer would even make me stand the up and coming super bowl lol

17. Posted February 4, 2012 at 7:09 am | Permalink

I make the crispy onions only as a garnish, otherwise I’d eat the whole plate!

18. Posted February 5, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Oh, I bet that’s tasty!!

19. Posted February 14, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

You know me, I’m a sucker for anything with the word “fries” after it. Love your photos, Joumana!