Gratinéed fish

Just because one enjoys  cooking elaborate dishes  does not mean that meals done in a jiffy are discarded from one’s life.

Having made that point, here is a fish plate that can be prepared in minutes. Any white fish fillet will do; the fish is seasoned then coated with a mixture of swiss,  parmesan and a bit of cream. Baked for a few minutes, voilà!

The chef who inspired me is Marlene Mattar, a wonderful Lebanese chef (who also teaches cooking classes in Beirut). She serves this fish with a spinach coulis, which can  be prepared very easily with frozen chopped spinach,  a ladle of fish stock and a dab of cream.

INGREDIENTS: 4 servings

• 4 fish fillets
  • 1 cup of shredded swiss cheese (substitute another hard cheese)
  • 1/4 cup of grated parmesan
  • 4 tbsp of whipping cream
  • salt, pepper
  • If using the spinach sauce: 11 oz package of frozen chopped spinach+1/4 cup of whipping cream+1/3 cup of fish stock+salt, to taste
  1. Combine the cheeses with the cream to form a paste; season the fish fillets with salt and pepper. Place on a pyrex dish and cover each fillet with 1/4 of the cheese mixture. Preheat the oven and bake the fillets in a 350F oven for 7 to 9 minutes. When the fillets are done the top should be puffed up and golden and the fish should flake easily and the juices should be clear. To get the top browned in spots, turn on the broiler the last minute or two of baking.
  2. If using the spinach sauce as a side, collect the fish juices after baking and place in a saucepan with the spinach and 1/4 cup of cream; bring to a simmer and stir till a sauce is formed. Serve next to the fish.

1. Posted March 8, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Joumana – This is perfect for my low carb dinner and such a lovely lovely take on good ole’ fish florentine. Love that crust – oh my! And your pics are gorgeous as always :))

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

2. Posted March 8, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Simple et bon, j’adooore! Bonne soirée Joumana.

3. Posted March 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Once again you prove that delicious does not mean that it has to be complicated. One would just need a cool crisp wine to enjoy with this meal.

Velva

4. Posted March 8, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

What a great way to eat fish. We eat fish often and I am always looking for a new, and good, way to try it.

5. Posted March 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

I agree that sometimes the simplest dishes are the best – just a few ingredients and great flavors. I’m looking for more ways to prepare fish as part of my diet.

6. samir
    Posted March 9, 2012 at 3:30 am | Permalink

this looks delicious..what white fish did you use for it?

Posted March 9, 2012 at 4:29 am | Permalink

@Samir: It was flounder, I think

8. Posted March 9, 2012 at 4:44 am | Permalink

Two things struck me immediately from this recipe: 1) Like you said, super easy to make. 2) Also super easy to tailor to any size crowd. Dinner for two? Cut it in half. Party for 20? Same deal in the other direction. Cheers!

9. Posted March 9, 2012 at 7:08 am | Permalink

I never really think to put fish in really creamy dishes but this sounds like a surefire delicious way to prepare it!

10. Posted March 9, 2012 at 7:26 am | Permalink

I get so used to seeing fish sauteed and basically au naturel that I forget how wonderful a cream sauce is with them… gorgeous lovely and simple. What a great dish that looks amazing in the photo!

11. Posted March 9, 2012 at 8:08 am | Permalink

I love fish but I want to talk about the plate and the fork, really beautiful! Great photo too!! It’s so nice to see a good production, all the elements together to set a mood, congrats!

12. Posted March 9, 2012 at 10:02 am | Permalink

You do so very good. :)
    In our house we promote healthy enjoyable meals and fish is one of them at least once each week. They’re killing me with the price of some Alaskan fish lately, $24.99 a pound for Halibut. (Tennessee)

13. Posted March 9, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Simple recipe, luxurious result.
    Nice!
    LL

14. Posted March 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

This may be the first time I am seeing a fish recipe with cheese, and it sounds so delicious! I also like the idea of the spinach with fish juices on the side.

15. miriam
    Posted March 10, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Had to try this …and I did, it was very good, a bit on the rich side but lovely and used flounder as well..However, my cheese wouldnt bubble and brown even after 10 minutes, as in your lovely photos ..till I turned the broiler on , you didnt find that to be the case? did you the highest quality cheeses?

Posted March 11, 2012 at 2:41 am | Permalink

@Miriam: These days in Beirut, I have had to adjust to a gas oven so to broil, I turn the upper gas grill on. Sorry I should have mentioned that and I will now. The cheese is just a plain shredded Emmenthal from the supermarket; you will do fine with mozzarella as well.

17. Posted March 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Miam, et en plus j’adore tes assiettes ;-) Trop belles !
    Bises d’Athenes

18. samir
    Posted March 23, 2012 at 1:39 am | Permalink

Have you seen the segment Barbara did on Helwe Beirut about Marlene, the video is also posted on her blog ,my culinary journey etc , check it out if not..

Posted March 23, 2012 at 1:45 am | Permalink

@Samir: No I have not seen it. I intend to and thanks so much for the info!

20. sam
    Posted November 3, 2012 at 12:34 am | Permalink

beautiful, easy and very tasty. Thanks,