A classic of Lebanese home cooking, this sauce can be prepared with or without meat; it is ideal for warm days because the yogurt sauce is not cooked; it is a perfect meal for any day of the week when cooking elaborate meals is the last thing on the agenda.
INGREDIENTS: 6 servings
- 8 oz of dry pasta (any shape will do)
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 1 onion
- 3 cups of yogurt
- 1/4 cup of tahini
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed in a mortar with a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts, previously toasted in a skillet till golden-brown
- salt, to taste
- 1 tsp of spices such as seven-spice or red Aleppo pepper ( more if needed)
- butter, as needed (or olive oil)
- Cook the pasta as directed. Coat in a little butter or a tablespoon of olive oil and set aside. Chop the onion, heat some butter or oil in a skillet, and fry the onion till golden; add the meat and fry till browned with the spices. Drain the meat if needed of most of its fat.
- In a bowl, pour the yogurt, mix in the tahini and mashed garlic as well as the lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more tahini or garlic to taste. Transfer the sauce to the pasta and mix to combine well. Add the ground meat and onion, and finally sprinkle the pine nuts. Serve at room temperature.