Tawlet Ammiq

Last Sunday was the grand opening of Tawlet Ammiq, Kamal Mouzawak‘s latest venture.

The restaurant is located in the Bekaa Valley, nudged between the village of Ammiq and a mountain range with a bird’s eye view of the valley beyond. The restaurant and village of Ammiq sit on a natural reserve (UN protected site).  It was designed with  solar chimneys, Canadian wells, and an infrastructure aimed at minimizing the use of electricity  as well as saving water and recycling most of the waste; all of the furnishings are made of recycled wood and lamp fixtures are made of recycled wine bottles.  The restaurant proposes in addition to a fine organic local cuisine, various activities such as hiking in the reserve as well as children’s activities (nature-related).

Most commendable, however, is Kamal’s vision which always seeks to involve and support others; in this case, the folks in the village of Ammiq as well as those living in the West Bekaa Valley would be the ones directly involved in manning the kitchen, producing the food served in the restaurant nearby, and supplying the wine grown in the valley from one of the many major wineries. After all, the Bekaa Valley is a fertile land that supplied ancient Rome with grains in its heyday, wines in Biblical times  and Lebanon’s most pressing agricultural needs in modern history. This venture will help revitalize the village of Ammiq and economically support many of its residents; it will also focus on the cuisine of that particular region.

In Kamal’s world, everyone   from the janitor to the chef is crucial and important and is valued equally.  Kamal’s boundless  energy, generosity and sensitivity seems to be  contagious and everyone on staff was friendly and helpful and the guests were relaxed and happy to be there.

Hand-painted bird mobiles hang from the ceiling with names of local birds. The cuisine reflects what the Bekaa Valley produces seasonally and that day the offerings were picked fresh from the surrounding gardens and included broad bean salad, fattoush, various kibbeh, spinach and bulgur, shanklish salad, among others, as well as a vast array of desserts.

On grand opening day, we spotted many dignitaries, politicians and their wives, designers and local celebrities as well as Ammiq’s mayor (who was smiling from ear to ear) but the restaurant ambiance was  down-to-earth and  low-key; everyone was busy savoring  that wonderful cuisine du terroir.

Famed fashion designer Rabih Kayrouz graciously smiling for the shot.

Kamal managed to exchanged niceties with everyone there.

In the foreground, candied Seville orange peels, ‘arreesh cheese served with honey (similar to ricotta), milk cookies and cookies made with grape molasses, as well as a wonderful knefe with cheese, the lightest I have ever had.

To reach Tawlet Ammiq by phone: (03) oo4481

Website: www.tawletammiq.com

1. Posted May 16, 2012 at 5:46 am | Permalink

What a cool place!! Love the vibe there…not to mention that food!

2. Posted May 16, 2012 at 6:48 am | Permalink

Wow! :)
    Such inspiration. Absolutely love this post.

3. Posted May 16, 2012 at 7:14 am | Permalink

That’s impressive! the concept, the food, the view!! I’m delighted to have such businesses open in Lebanon!

4. Posted May 16, 2012 at 8:47 am | Permalink

What a wonderful place – I love the phrase “cuisine du terroir” and it is impressive how everything about this restaurant – from decor to food – is rooted in the land.

5. Posted May 16, 2012 at 9:56 am | Permalink

A great post Joumana, I must visit this place when I come down.
    and visit the area.. I have to see all the places and the good people
    and my small village…

6. Posted May 16, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

This looks like my kind of place. Love it!

7. Posted May 16, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

That looks like a wonderful restaurant to dine in, the food all looks so delicious!

8. Posted May 16, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous photos of a beautiful place! I’d love some of those candied orange peels!

9. Posted May 17, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

How glamorous of you Joumana going to restaurants grand opening, What a beautiful place. These views look gorgeous just like parts of California to me. I guess they are right when they say we have a Mediterranean climate and landscape

10. Posted May 18, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

I am with Belinda – this has such a honest, yet chic vibe. I love that cuisine evolves from the earth. The mobiles are wonderful. What an amazing spread of food – without being pretentious. What an amazing event to be part of Joumana!

Why have I missed so many of your posts??? I LOVE the fava beans rice/risotto and the table with the fava bean pods is absolutely my fave pic. In fact I wish I had that table at home!

hugs! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

11. Posted May 21, 2012 at 5:51 am | Permalink

very nice article joumana, it reflects exactly the spirit of this very nice place!!

12. Posted January 27, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

The experience would be life altering for me – and thankfully, due to my travels, I CAN imagine it through your post. Great photos!
    V