Baby pears (Meskaweh)

Got these adorable mini-pears at the greengrocer the other day; he said “these are ladies earrings,see?” and he held them to his ear.

I asked how they should be consumed and he said “just like that, raw in your mouth!”; he exclaimed excitedly “these will bring you barakeh (good luck)!” and a lady who was passing by quipped “ barakeh or harakeh (just a stir)?” lifting her shoulder in disdain.

1. Posted June 21, 2012 at 8:10 am | Permalink

How could you not want to just hold them and just admire their pettiness. So, we’re they good?

2. Posted June 21, 2012 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Wow! What little gems!

3. Posted June 21, 2012 at 8:41 am | Permalink

So pretty and really intriguing!

4. Posted June 21, 2012 at 8:42 am | Permalink

So petite! They’re smaller than even some of the leaves.

5. Posted June 21, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

What did they taste like? They look like little crab apples, I bet they would make good jam or jelly.

Posted June 21, 2012 at 11:51 am | Permalink

@Margaret: Good, a little tart.
    @Sue: Great idea, for jam or jelly
    @Denise: Your ideas are GREAT!!!You are inspiring me now!
    @Bunny: wow~~~sounds so pretty and refined!

7. Posted June 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

They look so cute and pretty!!! Never seen such pears before…

8. Posted June 21, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Oh WOW! How I could love to eat MANY of them.

9. Posted June 21, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

They are one of the most gorgeous fruits that I have seen. Imagine a Pear Upside Down Cake made with these tart beauties…In addition to delicious (the balance of the tartness of the pears with the sweetness of the caramel), the cake would be beautiful! …On a tart tartin as well. Don’t you think? Ok, my mouth is already salivating. I better go. :)

10. Posted June 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

We’re beginning to get these pears in Bay Area. I absolutely love them. I always find it hard to finish a whole pear so these are the perfect size.

11. Posted June 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

I’ve had baby pears before and loved the texture. I bet they would go well in a salad. This is such a beautiful photo.

12. Posted June 22, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Oh my! I think I’d struggle to resist the temptation to try and candy these. Imagine, a gift for a loved one, a pretty glass jar filled with tiny pears, sparkling with crystallised sugar. Or in a box in individual paper cups, along with candied rosehips and crabapples.

13. Posted June 23, 2012 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Coucou J… Je suis à Beyrouth jusqu’au 30 juin Es tu là ? Si tu peux me voir téléphone 03807210 à mon ami libanais Joseph… Je te raconterai ma nouvelle vie… Le Liban est vraiment un paradis. Je suis dans leur maison de la montagne au dessus de Zahle pour cueillir les cerises, quel bonheur Bisous à bientôt peut être

14. Elena
    Posted June 25, 2012 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

i have never seen before such little cute pears.
    Are they tasty?

15. Posted June 26, 2012 at 12:13 am | Permalink

To absorb fat one can have take one lemon per day because it is very helpful to loose weight rapidly and fastly.

16. Posted June 26, 2012 at 3:03 am | Permalink

When we were on an island in the Mediterranean the other day, a farmer handed a few of those tiny pears (perhaps a tad larger than the ones in the picture) to my children to taste. They loved them!