Hibiscus snack (Karkadeh)

I love the idea of snacking on flowers, don’t you? Especially when these flowers are supposed to be so beneficial to one’s blood pressure and all kinds of other conditions.

I found these in a Beirut supermarket sold in bulk. They are chewy, sweet and sour. Perfect to snack on anytime, especially in a car when stuck in a traffic jam.

1. Posted July 27, 2012 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Mmmhh, I’d love to taste them!

2. Charbel Saad
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink

These look like flowers, so I’m guessing dried hibiscus. Where’d you find them?

3. Jeannie
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

the fresh ones are boiled and made into juice, really delicious! I like these preserved ones too!

4. Pierre
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Do you spit them out of the car window when you’re done chewing on them … in traffic?

5. Posted July 28, 2012 at 2:14 am | Permalink

They’re all mouthwatering…

6. Marion
    Posted July 28, 2012 at 3:06 am | Permalink

Rosellas! – a type of hibiscus: I grow them in my garden in summer – makes wonderful jam, but have never seen them dried…

Posted July 28, 2012 at 3:40 am | Permalink

@Charbel, Jeannie, Pierre, Sare, Rosa, and Marion: Yes, these are dried and candied hibiscus flowers, supposed to be really good for your blood and blood pressure, (and a host of other conditions); by the way, they are eaten whole, not spit out, and I found them at Monoprix (Jnah) in Beirut.

@Saro: I just so like the idea of snacking on flowers, don’t you?

8. Posted July 28, 2012 at 5:43 am | Permalink

Wow!! That’s how they look like? I bet they’re super sweet!

9. Saro V Kumar
    Posted July 28, 2012 at 7:42 am | Permalink

Similar preparations made with Mung beans,chick peas, Besan Dhall are available as ready made snack in most Indian Grocers. Economically priced compared to potato chips,and with a healthier carb/ protein ratio that is particularly useful to diabetics who are trying to limit carbs

10. Posted July 30, 2012 at 5:11 am | Permalink

Wow, Joumana, I’ve never seen these before. Thanks for opening my eyes!

11. Posted August 3, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

I would have never known about the health benefits of hibiscus flowers! Unfortunately, I’ve never seen them candied or any other way than on the bush.

12. Posted August 9, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

J’ en trouve en Turquie mais elles sont bien plus sèches. J’en fait du sirop, de la confiture et du sorbet.
    iza:)