Fig preserve (no sugar added)

If you are lucky enough to get a hold of very sweet figs (these were plucked from our garden in the mountains), here is a quick and delicious preserve made with just the fruits and a little water; I watched in amazement as Jovilyn Corcollaa young Filipino woman, made it in front of me while she grabbed a skillet,  peeled the figs and threw them in almost as an afterthought; the preserve is extra sweet from the fruit’s natural sweetness. Nothing else required.

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 1/2 pounds of extra sweet figs
  • 1 cup of water
  1. Peel the figs and cut in 2 or 3 chunks; place in a large skillet with a heavy bottom; add one cup of water and bring to a simmer. Simmer over slow and gentle heat for 40 minutes or until the mixture thickens and becomes almost syrupy. Transfer to sterilized jars and cool.

1. Posted August 26, 2012 at 5:02 am | Permalink

Divine!

2. Posted August 26, 2012 at 5:21 am | Permalink

Joumana, I just picked a couple figs from my young trees yesterday, and ate them fresh out of hand. When they decide to produce more in the coming years, I’ll be enjoying this recipe and toasting you! I may add a little crystallize ginger for punch. ;-)

3. Posted August 26, 2012 at 7:15 am | Permalink

You are so very lucky to have fresh figs!

4. Posted August 26, 2012 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

The jam looks awesome. I love the second pic, it is beautiful!

5. Posted August 27, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Je n’ai pas la chance d’avoir un jardin avec d’aussi belles figues. Une “confiture” délicieuse.
    A bientôt

6. paola
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 4:05 am | Permalink

Do you think that i can add a bit of honey in?

7. Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:21 am | Permalink

we used to eat a lot of fresh fig daily during the fig season when we were back home in China but the figs here in Australia looks quite different and so expensive. will definitely try when i visit home which is after a while. enjoyed reading ur blog.

Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:35 am | Permalink

@Paola: It would taste lovely with a bit of honey mixed in.

9. Posted August 29, 2012 at 7:53 am | Permalink

My brother and sister-in-law are bringing me some fresh figs from their trees this weekends. Thanks to you, I now know what I’ll do with a bunch of them!