Sunflower seeds

If you are wondering what one does when vacationing in the Lebanese mountains, this is one activity; plucking seeds from sunflowers and eating them raw with  a six-year old niece who is just as eager as I to partake in the fun.

I was trying to show Marie (said niece) how to extract the seed by gnawing  on their black shell with one’s front two teeth; her response was: “but look, Tante Joumana, I lost my two front teeth!”, with a bin grin to show me that indeed they were gone. Well, Marie, being a resourceful child, said: “No problem, I will use my side teeth!”.

Crunch, crunch, crunch.

Just wait a bit for your sunflowers to be ripe to get their seeds picked.

Did you know the sunflower seeds contain 52% of iron? (per 100 g.) and 230% of Vitamin E? (Wikipedia)

A great recipe for roasted (and salted) sunflower seeds is found here.

1. Posted August 28, 2012 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Are you pulling the seeds from the center of the flower? I never thought about harvesting sunflower seeds in the field. Must be the peak of freshness!

Posted August 28, 2012 at 5:26 am | Permalink

@T.W. you just pluck them out, one seed at a time; I’m sure there’s a more efficient way though! :)

@Scott: any time! :)

3. Posted August 28, 2012 at 5:33 am | Permalink

I adore these…especially chocolate-covered ones!

4. Scott Thaler
    Posted August 28, 2012 at 9:40 am | Permalink

They look delicious! Never tried them raw..will have to come and visit to have a handful.!

5. Posted August 29, 2012 at 6:26 am | Permalink

trying raw sunflower seed is quite good, in some way it tastes like raw walnut. If you fry it in the pot with some salt on it, it also becomes more tasty as well.

6. Posted August 29, 2012 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Ha! The squirrels usually get most of my sunflower seeds before I notice they’re ready to harvest.

7. Posted August 29, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

I never roasted sunflower seeds, my husband loves these seed :)
    Nice pictures Joumana…hope you are having a nice week!

8. Posted September 3, 2012 at 2:53 am | Permalink

Très amusante cette cueillette avec Marie :) je ne savais pas que les graines de tournesol étaient aussi riches en fer et vit.E. Merci.