Buckwheat crêpe

I am spending a few days in the South of France  and the landscape around us is eerily similar to Lebanon’s. Everywhere you turn there are hills covered in greenery and then there is the seascape far away. One thing that surprised me is to find buckwheat crêpe offered in many cafés’ menus, even though it is listed as crêpe bretonne (from Brittany); it is such a versatile food, can be stuffed with just about anything, is super nutritious, in short, ideal for the short-order cook!

A recipe gleaned from this site.

Makes 12 crêpes:

• 500 g. of buckwheat flour (1 pound and 1/4 cup or 3 cups +1/4 cup)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp of oil
  • 4 cups of water
  • salt, to taste

1. Mix all the ingredients adding water gradually at the end until you get a smooth and thin batter (the thinner the batter the better the crêpes).
  2. Set the batter aside to rest for one hour in a covered bowl.
  3. Heat a greased skillet (about 12 inches in diameter if possible); if air bubbles show up, the skillet is too hot, therefore reduce the heat; flip the crêpe halfway through and cook on the other side for a couple of minutes; fill with a topping of your choice (cheese, egg, ham, mushroom, shrimps, herbs, etc)

1. Posted September 7, 2012 at 3:37 am | Permalink

I love buckwheat crepes.I make the vegetarian version-without eggs and with a mixed veggie filling.And as u said,it is versatile and nutritious :)

2. Posted September 7, 2012 at 4:18 am | Permalink

Not a bad place to spend a few days!! Gorgeous crepe – savory or sweet!

3. Posted September 7, 2012 at 4:37 am | Permalink

I love the flavor of buckwheat. This filled crepe looks ever so mouthwatering.

4. Posted September 7, 2012 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Buckwheat crepes are the best (although never made them). Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in France. Wish I could be there too.

5. Posted September 7, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Oooh I wish you were closer! And I have to try this recipe! Living in Nantes (almost Brittany and the Nantais think they still are) I love buckwheat savory crepes but have yet to make them. Perfect crepes so your recipe must be perfect, too!

6. Posted September 8, 2012 at 5:26 am | Permalink

Miam, la crepe bretonne !
    Profite bien de ton sejour !
    Bises d’Athenes

7. Posted September 8, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

I’ve only had buckwheat pancakes which must taste very similar and delicious. Enjoy your time in France!

8. Posted September 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Never imagined we could make crepes with buckwheat. I’m loving it.

9. Posted September 10, 2012 at 2:22 am | Permalink

The crepe looks so good!!

10. Posted September 10, 2012 at 10:45 am | Permalink

A déguster avant d’arriver à ” Poitiers ” où les ” sarrasins ” ne furent pas toujours les bien venu…

11. Elena
    Posted September 10, 2012 at 10:50 am | Permalink

I always prefer buckwheat “blini” yeast-raised “A-la Russe” ( Russian buckwheat pancakes) with sour creme . It’s a really delicious!

Posted September 10, 2012 at 10:58 am | Permalink

@Domi: je me posais la question aujourd’hui d’ailleurs, de savoir si les sarrasins et la galette avaient un rapport?

13. Posted September 11, 2012 at 10:38 am | Permalink

I love ANYTHING wrapped in a buckwheat crepe. A runny egg, some ham, cheese and spinach right now would be quite welcome.