Dates

The market stalls in Beirut are offering dates this time of year; all kinds of dates. Some are imported from the Gulf countries, some are local.

I love to start my day with a few dates in the morning. What about you?

To enjoy dates when fresh but still hard: wrap them in a plastic bag tightly sealed and wait a few days; they will soften and their skin will peel just with a light rub. That’s when they are sweet and delicious to eat.

1. Posted September 29, 2012 at 2:48 am | Permalink

Dates are a great start in the day especially if you can get fresh ones. Envy ;-)

2. Posted September 29, 2012 at 4:03 am | Permalink

We had a South African brandy pudding last night, love it as not only is it alcoholic but it has masses of dates in it as well. hic Diane

3. emile
    Posted September 29, 2012 at 5:48 am | Permalink

Date compote with fresh whipped cream yummmmmmmmmm

4. emile
    Posted September 29, 2012 at 5:49 am | Permalink

Best time to be in Lebanon just finished with the figs and now on to the grapes and dates :)

5. iris
    Posted September 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

i thought dates were something for the evening ;-)
    they look superb in the picture though, i can only be jealous. around here, it is rather apples, bananas and kiwis…

6. Posted September 29, 2012 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

I’ve never seen fresh dates. They look a little like plums. What is the texture like when they are fresh?

7. Posted September 29, 2012 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Joumana, what a great idea to start the day with dates! I love the yellow, fresh ones.

8. Posted September 29, 2012 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

lovely picture

Posted September 30, 2012 at 3:14 am | Permalink

@Alaiyo: The texture is like an apple, but when they soften up they get mushy and so sweet.

10. Posted September 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Oh, to have fresh dates! They are beautiful. I have to be content with dried dates and I love to eat them as a snack in the afternoon :)

11. Posted September 30, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

I love this time of the year — beautiful dates and figs everywhere!! I love adding it in my baked goods as a natural sweetener!

12. Posted October 1, 2012 at 2:53 am | Permalink

I love them. I always keep some dried friuts including dates in mybag. During the busy day I have one or two they give me energy and assuage my hunger.
    People in Adana make composte, a kind of sweet drink, with fresh dates.
    Have a nice day.