Eggplant and peppers salad

This salad is easy to prepare; I had a big eggplant (the last ones in the season) and needed to do something. If you have a gas grill you can use it to blacken the eggplant (just lay it over the heat diffuser), or throw the eggplant (skin and all) in your oven to blacken on its own.

INGREDIENTS: 4 servings

• 1 eggplant, about 1 pound
  • several bell peppers
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped and mashed in a mortar with a dash of salt
  • salt, sumac or paprika
  • olive oil, as needed
  • 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
  1. Blacken the eggplant either on your gas grill or over the stove (lay it on a heat diffuser and turn it anytime one side gets black and charred), or place it on a cookie sheet and bake it at 375F till it is black all over. Remove and peel (carefully, don’t burn your fingers!);  lay it on a sieve to drain its brown juice, pressing on it to extract the juice.
  2. Wash and dry the peppers; dice the peppers and chop the onion; chop the eggplant coarsely and mix with the peppers and onion; pour some olive oil and vinegar and mix (to  taste), mashed garlic, and some sumac or paprika if you like. Serve immediately.

1. Posted September 30, 2012 at 5:19 am | Permalink

Love the presentation – very pretty and colorful!

2. Posted September 30, 2012 at 6:08 am | Permalink

A beautiful salad and tasty combination!

3. Posted September 30, 2012 at 7:30 am | Permalink

When I saw “eggplant” in your title, I came running. I was pleasantly surprised with your presentation. This is an attractive way to serve vegetables and particularly eggplant, which is my favorite. Thanks for your creativity and culinary insight!

Alaiyo

4. Posted September 30, 2012 at 8:11 am | Permalink

So colourful and pretty! Love how you present it.

5. Posted September 30, 2012 at 11:37 am | Permalink

What a gorgeous looking salad, I especially like the pepper-top!

6. Posted September 30, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

mmmm.. what a delicious app! Good use of the last eggplant. Till next year, Summer!

7. Posted September 30, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

What a charming presentation, Jourmana. It looks delicious!

8. Posted September 30, 2012 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Love the use of tiny eggplants for this recipe. yum!

9. Posted October 1, 2012 at 12:29 am | Permalink

That is some serious food styling you did there!

10. Posted October 1, 2012 at 2:46 am | Permalink

I just love the presentation of your eggplant and peppers salad. Looks so colourful and appetising.
    Julia

11. Posted October 1, 2012 at 3:00 am | Permalink

Mmmmm, very delicious. We all love this salad in Türkiye and make different version of it Making this salad also add some tomatoes, and for sauce could you try some pomegranate syrup.

12. Posted October 1, 2012 at 5:26 am | Permalink

I love your presentation of dishes – makes me feel like I’m in some fancy dining establishment!

Posted October 1, 2012 at 5:48 am | Permalink

@Belinda: Thanks for the praise! I got this metal round cutter, you fit the food in it and plop it on the plate; found it in a kitchen supply store.

14. Posted October 1, 2012 at 8:24 am | Permalink

Gorgeous presentation!

15. Posted October 1, 2012 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Wonderful!!….I love your salad…..eggplants are my favourite……Abrazotes, Marcela

16. Posted October 3, 2012 at 4:47 am | Permalink

I love your styling Joumana and I am sure the salad tasted great!

17. Joelle
    Posted February 7, 2013 at 1:26 am | Permalink

This turned out surprisingly good! I steamed the peppers and onions since I made it to my weaning twins. They loved it. Thank you for sharing!