The healthiest fruit in the world

These are jujube fruits; they taste like apples and they are so full of nutrients and vitamins this title is well-deserved, (albeit emphatic). Available in fruit stalls here in Lebanon, they can also be found in the US and elsewhere in organic markets, Middle-Eastern stores, Chinese and other Asian markets, fresh or dried, and ordered online.

Jujubes were used in treatment of many illnesses in Chinese medicine. They are full of amino acids and antioxidants and help with many many conditions; they boost immunity, are a blood cleanser, soothing for the nerves, insomnia, anxiety; good for chronic constipation, diarrhea; lowers cholesterol; helps with fungus, bacterial infections, soothes the liver.

If interested, read:

This article

as well as this article

and this Wikipedia article

1. Posted September 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

I’ve heard of these but never seen them before – in fact, I probably thought it was an “imaginary” fruit. They look so tiny. Anything that tastes like apples is fine to me!

2. Posted September 24, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I am going to look for this fruit so I can try. And also, next time I cook eggplant, I am keeping the stems!

3. Dana
    Posted September 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the post, Joumana! Had no idead what Ennab meant in English. Now I will be on the hunt for some here in the US as this is one of my husband’s all time favorite fruits!

4. Posted September 24, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I’m going to keep my eye out for these at Whole Foods market here, except I’ve never seen these here. Is the fruit tart or sweet?

5. Posted September 24, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh! Rendevous! I’m eating right at this moment as I opened your blog! :) They are sweet and delicious!

6. Posted September 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

When I first saw this photo, I thought OLIVES! Then I thought Olives are fruit?

What cool fruit! I have never seen or heard of them before now I will have a better eye for it.

As always, thanks for sharing.

Velva

Posted September 24, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

@Alaiyo: The fruit can be both! I’d say you have more chances of finding some at Chinese or Asian markets or Middle-Eastern stores than WholeFoods.

8. Posted September 24, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the info. Didn’t know about it!

9. Posted September 25, 2012 at 3:34 am | Permalink

Waw, Joumana! :) I have never seen this lovely fruits before but I will be on the look-out for them!
    They sound very tasty! Thanks for introducing something new to me!

10. Posted September 25, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – those sound like some of my favorite candy!

11. Posted September 25, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

I found these fruits at an Indian Grocery Store the other day but, didnot buy them because I did not know it worth at all until I read about it on your post. Thank you for introducing us to such awesome fruits.

12. Posted September 25, 2012 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Had these before! Never knew they were so healthy. Good stuff – like big vitamins.

13. Posted September 26, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Hm, will make a trip to the Indian market later this month. Hope they have them. Do you think they would cook well in a pastry?

Posted September 26, 2012 at 10:00 am | Permalink

@Trudy: In Lebanon, they are eaten as a snack, fresh; I know the Chinese dry them and use them in soups (I’ve seen it in Chinese blogs done this way); I have never seen them in pastry, but it is a great idea. Some of these fruits get quite big and could work well. Not sure if that retains the nutritional benefits or not. I’d have to ask!

15. Posted September 28, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Certainly nothing like the jelly-like candies that we used to eat at the cinema when I was a girl ;)

I would love to find some of these! The hunt begins.

16. RACHEL
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Grew up on these as a child and have one in the yard!! South east Louisiana has these in all our grandparents yards. my grandmother would can them. so good fresh too!