Chocolate molten puddings

I was leafing through a Donna Hay magazine and saw: “Make & Freeze”, molten chocolate puddings. Now that’s a concept that really hits the spot! Do you ever find yourself wishing you could have something chocolat-y, and resorting to a mediocre candy bar as the only available option?

The idea is to make these ahead of time, dump them in the freezer and when the whim takes you, grab and bake in its frozen state for 20 minutes. Easy. So convenient

INGREDIENTS: 6 servings (recipe adapted from Donna Hay magazine)

• 1 1/2 tbsp of unsalted butter, melted
  • 100 g of dark chocolate (one bar, about 3 oz)
  • 100 g. of unsalted butter (one stick less one tablespoon)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup of white granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp of brandy or vanilla
  • 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
  • cocoa for dusting (optional)
Place 6 ramequins or one muffin tin nearby.
  1. Place the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan and melt over very gentle heat; when the butter melts, you can begin to stir and you’ll see the chocolate melting as well. No need to risk overheating.
  2. Melt the pat of butter in the microwave and brush butter inside each ramequin. Place the ramequins in the fridge till needed.
  3. Meanwhile, place the eggs and yolks and sugar in a mixer bowl and beat the mixture for 8 to 10 minutes until thick and doubled in size; add the brandy or vanilla and the chocolate mixture. Add the flour until combined. Pour the batter into the ramequins and cover them with plastic wrap and freeze. When ready to serve, remove from the freezer and bake in a 350F oven for 20 minutes or until puffed up.
NOTE: You can bake right away in a 350F for about 15 minutes.

1. Posted October 27, 2012 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Oh my….my wife is sending lots of kisses your way for this one. Never would have thought to cook these from frozen….BRILLIANT!

2. Posted October 27, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

They look so puffed and beautiful.

3. Posted October 27, 2012 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Now this is a great idea, how perfect to freeze the perfect dessert and have it when ever you want? It makes me smile :)

4. Posted October 27, 2012 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Facile, rapide et délicieux. Que demander de plus?!
    A bientôt

5. Posted October 27, 2012 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I need more ramequins now so that I have enough to store some in the freezer – BRILLIANT!

Posted October 28, 2012 at 1:24 am | Permalink

@Rachel(teacher-chef): You can use muffin tins!

7. Posted October 28, 2012 at 3:12 am | Permalink

Che bontà!!!!

8. Posted October 28, 2012 at 6:18 am | Permalink

Looks like such a great idea! I must keep a stash of these in the freezer…

9. Posted October 28, 2012 at 9:13 am | Permalink

What a great idea! So easy and perfect for when you need a great dessert in minutes!

10. Posted October 28, 2012 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

This is rather dangerous for me… I’d be making tons of batches to freeze and I’d probably eat one every single day. Dangerous but oh so yummy!

11. Posted October 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Not a bad idea to keep these on hand in the freezer!!

12. Posted October 28, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Oh this so beats a chocolate bar indeed, love this make ahead idea. The 20 min may be too long to wait ha ha,

13. Posted October 28, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

This sounds like an incredible, do-ahead treat for entertaining! I will most certainly try these.

14. Posted October 29, 2012 at 8:25 am | Permalink

It looks delicious! And I love the layout of your blog and style of your photographs – so fresh and clean!

15. Posted October 29, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

What a brilliant idea! I may have to try these.

16. Posted October 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

très gourmands et tellement tentants!!
    Merci ma chère Joumana pour tes gentils voeux de l’Aid!
    j’adore le parler libanais,il est tellement doux et câlin!!

17. Posted October 31, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

This post came at the right time :) . I’m definitely “making and freezing” these puddings next week; I have some friends coming over and I know I won’t have time to prep dessert the same day! Thank you

18. Posted November 1, 2012 at 5:30 am | Permalink

These are pure danger! In the best possible way :)