Pumpkins are here!
An easy and delicious stew to put together from my friend Asma, who is of Kurdish origin (Mardin, Turkey). Grab some stew meat (lamb with bones if you like, or beef), onion, tomatoes, pumpkin and a handful of chickpeas. Douse with lemon juice. Serve with bread or rice or bulgur.
INGREDIENTS: 4 servings
- 2 onions
- 1 lb. lamb shanks, cut in small chunks with bone or stew meat
- salt, pepper
- 4 cups of pumpkin chunks
- 4 large tomatoes or one can of tomatoes
- 1 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice (fresh)
- Chop the onions; heat the oil and fry the onions till soft, about 7 minutes. Sprinkle the lamb shanks with salt and pepper and brown in the pot briefly with the onions. Add 4 cups of water, cover and simmer the lamb and onions for 45 minutes.
- Chop the tomatoes and add to the stew. Add the pumpkin, chickpeas and lemon juice; simmer the stew for another 30 minutes (or longer), taste to adjust seasoning and serve hot with bread or rice or bulgur on the side.
NOTE: This is a perfect dish for a crockpot.