It was exciting to see ambarees, that country-style goat cheese made in the Chouf mountains, at the village grocer. Broccoli is growing now and a nice change from cabbage and more cabbage every single week. This soup is popular and so easy to prepare. Purée it with this great invention, the immersion blender, to ease clean-up.
INGREDIENTS: 8 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 broccoli heads, chopped into florets, trunks pared and chopped
- 1 cup of shredded yellow cheese (swiss, jack, etc)
- 3 oz of cream cheese (or Kiri cheese)
- 6 cups of broth (chicken, veggie, or 1 cube of bouillon with water)
- 1/4 cup of goat cheese, crumbled (or parmesan cheese)
- salt, pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the chopped onions for 5 minutes; add the broccoli and fry for another 10 minutes with the onion till softened; add the broth and cover the pot; bring to a simmer and let the soup simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese (or Kiri) and stir to melt it; add the yellow cheese and stir for a few minutes; purée the soup with an immersion blender or in a regular blender; taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with a sprinkle of goat cheese if desired.