This crop of eggplants just won’t quit. A pasta dish was in order. This one was inspired by a recipe in an ELLE cookbook for an eggplant gratin called la Bohémienne (the gypsy). The recipe called for eggplants, tomatoes, onions and anchovies. Add whole-wheat penne in the mix and you’ve got dinner covered.
INGREDIENTS: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 lb eggplant
- 1 lb tomatoes (or a large can)
- 2 onions
- 4 anchovies or 1 tbsp anchovy paste
- 1 cup cream or milk
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- dash black pepper
- 1 tbsp hot red pepper paste (optional) or chili powder
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 8 oz whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Peel and cut the eggplant in small chunks; sprinkle with salt, transfer to a colander and let the brown juices come out, about 30 minutes or longer. Dice tomatoes and chop onions. Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil and fry the onions 8 minutes till soft; add the eggplants (previously wiped clean) and fry for 10 minutes; add the tomatoes and simmer the mixture gently for 20 minutes.
- Mash the anchovies in the cream or milk, add the garlic and add to the eggplant mixture. Let the flavors meld for 20 minutes over very gentle heat.
- Cook the pasta and drain, reserving 1/2 cup of pasta water; add the eggplant mixture, garnish with chopped parsley and serve.