In my (mountain) home town of Deir el-Qamar, radishes are huge. Apparently, these are winter radishes; in the Summer, they switch back to their normal size.
Radish greens are purported to be super nutritious; there are many ways they can be used (I have made pasta with them, salads, pesto). In a soup instead of, say, spinach.
- 1 bag of frozen peas
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 2 bunches of radish greens
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of yogurt
- salt, pepper, 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of turmeric
- Dash of hot red pepper (optional)
- olive oil
- Chop the onion; peel and dice the potatoes. Wash the radish greens well. Peel and chop the garlic and mash in a mortar with a dash of salt. Heat the oil in a soup pot and fry the onions with the potatoes for 7 minutes; drop the radish greens, garlic, and add 6 cups of water and the spices; cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the peas the last 5 minutes of cooking. Use an immersion blender and purée the mixture. Add the yogurt and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve warm.