Another version of a carrot and cheese cake I made a couple of years ago; eating a bar feels more virtuous!
INGREDIENTS: 9″x9″ pan (or larger)
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup raw sugar or regular
- 1 tablespoon of grape molasses (optional) or honey
- 1 tablespoon of orange rind (optional)
- 8 oz carrots, shredded fine (4 carrots)
- 1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- dash salt
- 8 ounces of labneh or cream cheese or mascarpone, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
METHOD: Preheat the oven to 350F (180C)
- Place the eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla, rind (if using), grape molasses (if using) in the bowl of a mixer and beat at medium speed for 5 minutes until the texture is a bit thick, like a runny mayo. Meanwhile, place the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix with a wire whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture; fold the carrots into the batter. Make the cheese layer:
- Beat the cheese with the powdered sugar, cornstarch and vanilla until the cheese batter is smooth. Line the pan with parchment paper and pour the carrot cake batter into the pan in dollops, here and there. Pour the cheese batter (also in dollops here and there). Bake until puffed up and dry, about 20 minutes.
View of a valley in the Chouf, Lebanon.