Pickled green almonds

pickled green almonds

It is green almond time (Spring) and our trees are loaded. Everywhere markets are displaying these velvety green almonds that folks love to eat whole dipped in salt; super crunchy and a natural laxative. The almonds need to ripen on their mother (an expression from a farmer I talked to that delighted me) for a few more weeks to get the hardened fruit we are used to buying in the US. I have found these fresh green almonds at the Middle-Eastern store in Dallas however, shipped from California.

IMG_1311

Another use for them is to pickle them; in the Chouf mountains, it is not uncommon to have these pickled almonds served with a side of roasted chicken. These green almonds are extra crunchy.

Recipe is from Mrs Marlene Mattar in her Maedat Marlene min Halab.

1 lb green almonds (to fill up 4 jars)

2 cups water

1/4 cup coarse salt

1/2 cup wine vinegar

1. Wash the green almonds and cut off the tips. Slit each almond with the tip of a knife. Dissolve the salt in water, then mix with the vinegar and pour into the jars. Use after 4 days and keep in the fridge.

fresh almond basket

1. Posted April 12, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

That is something totally unknown to me. I would love to try your pickles… Sadly, I can’t find fresh almonds here.

2. Posted April 12, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I have read about those along with pickled Janerek in Barbara Abdeni Massaad’s book “Mouneh” but I am not sure how would they taste.

3. Posted April 12, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

i’m jealous of the almond tree you have! this is such a unique recipe :)

4. Posted April 12, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Must be spring when the trees are so bountiful!

Posted April 12, 2013 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

@Hisham Assaad: they taste like the fresh ones, but tangy and sour from the pickling water.

6. Mira
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

This sounds delicious! Do u think it would also work with green apricot?

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

@Mira: I think people do pickle the green apricots, although I have never tried it; if you like pickles, sure!

8. Posted April 13, 2013 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

I would never be able to find fresh almonds here but love the idea of pickling them and also the thought of them ripening on the mother :)

9. Posted April 14, 2013 at 7:57 am | Permalink

How wonderful that there are almonds growing near you and are available for pickling. Of course, I’ve never tried these, but I’ll bet they are quite a treat!

10. Posted April 14, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

This is a fantastic recipe! I was just eating fresh almonds and saw this post! How couldn’t I have thought pickling them before? I’m addicted to pickled veggies and I haven’t eaten or seen pickled almonds here. Now that I have the recipe, I can make it myself! Thanks a lot!

Posted April 14, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

@Zerrin: my pleasure. :)

12. Posted April 15, 2013 at 4:10 am | Permalink

As someone who loves anything pickled, I am sure I would really like these. Never seen them here, but there must be tons in Sicily. Will enquire.

13. Gabi
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 4:19 am | Permalink

Oh, I’ll remember this one. The palestinian store in my town has green almonds,too. I asked how to use them and was adviced to eat them as they were. Hmmm… an acquired taste, I think :-) I bought some and put them in alcohol, hoping to get some kind of Amaretto. Next time I’ll try this pickled version

14. Posted April 15, 2013 at 6:41 am | Permalink

Délicieuse découverte!! ça doit étre très fin en même temps qu’acidulé!! merci Joumana! très belle journée!!

15. Posted April 15, 2013 at 7:16 am | Permalink

A new treat! I don’t know these at all but would love to become acquainted. Almonds and their mother – love.

16. Linda
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 7:19 am | Permalink

For those of you in New York – I’ve seen them on the counter at Kalustyan’s (28th & Lexington)

17. Jessica
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 7:57 am | Permalink

I have a wish-list over stuff I want to do in this life and picking almonds is one of the things on the wish-list.

I eat japanese pickled plums all the time (umeboshi). I am sure one can pickle just about everything, like tiny apricots. In some parts of France and in England, green walnuts are pickled.

18. Anna
    Posted April 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Sadly I was away from Palestine during green almond season which just finished there.. however this recipe will surely be used next year to make the most of it!!

19. Posted April 18, 2013 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Non seulement je n’en ai jamais entendu parler mais je n’aurait surtout jamais imaginer que l’on puisse le faire….

20. Posted April 22, 2013 at 7:36 am | Permalink

Just saw tons of these in the markets of Istanbul. Wish I was able to bring some home so I could try this recipe.

21. Posted April 26, 2013 at 12:47 am | Permalink

A refreshing post, just like the recipes. Loved it!

22. Stephanie
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

For those of you in NYC, I just bought some at Fairway in Manhattan.

One Trackback

1. […] you to educate yourself on and of course feed yourself green almonds!  The wonderful cooking blog Taste of Beirut has a recipe for pickled green almonds that is a wonderful idea for cocktail hour.  Take David […]