Shawarma in kibbeh (Akrass al-kibbeh bel-shawarma)

kibbeh ma3 shawarma

Kibbeh is ubiquitous here; not only is it Lebanon’s national dish but it would be unthinkable to lay down a mezze table without having a plate of small appetizer-size kibbeh balls.

The idea to split the kibbeh open and stuff them with sweet things comes from Aleppo (Syria); kibbeh get stuffed with cherries, quince or dried apricots. In Lebanon, kibbeh are usually stuffed with nuts or chickpeas or meats.

Here is an idea from Ms. Leena Bassam Shbaro in her book on kibbeh Al Tabekh al-Halabi, Al-Kibbeh wal-Salatat. Fry kibbeh balls (empty ones), split them open and stuff them with some lamb shawarma, onion and a bit of tomato.

Recipe for kibbeh, click here.

Recipe for shawarma, click here.

The idea is to make the kibbeh balls in advance and freeze them (at that point, prior to freezing them, coat them in a little oil and bake them in a 375F oven for 5 minutes). Cool and freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost the kibbeh in the fridge; make the shawarma and set aside. Fry the kibbeh balls, split open and insert a sliver of meat and a quarter cherry tomato in the cavity; set upright on a small platter and serve.

cool old bus

1. Posted April 2, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I’d like to make sure you know about the CookEatShare Author Network. I don’t want the over 1 million unique montly visitors to CookEatShare.com to miss out on your wonderful food.

By joining our Author Network, your blog posts will be indexed and users will be guided to your actual blog when searching your recipes or profile.

The service is free and easy to sign up for. Simply visit http://www.cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply or contact me at Kyra@cookeatshare.com. You’ll get a unique link to claim and customize your profile. We look forward having you in our network!

2. Posted April 2, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Elle est géniale, ton idée ! J’adore et le kibbeh, et le shawarma. Le fait d’associer les deux me plaît donc énormément ! ;o)
    Bisous
    Hélène

3. Posted April 2, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Your cookies remind me that I haven’t yet broken out my ma’moul molds that I was fortunate to find online.

4. Posted April 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I like the combination here of the sweet with the savory kibbeh.

5. Posted April 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

I’ve never had these before! THey look so good, will definitely be making them soon! xx

6. Posted April 2, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

I’ve been reading about shawarma recently! I really like that these can be made ahead and the toothpicks are much nicer than any I’ve ever seen.

7. Posted April 2, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

These are so very cool! I admit, never tried to make them at home before!

8. Posted April 5, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Now this is my kind of mash-up. Two of my favorite foods combined into one awesome dish!

9. Posted April 6, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

They look really delicious. A bit fiddly to make but I’d really like to eat them!

10. Posted April 18, 2013 at 1:18 am | Permalink

Idéales pour l’apéro ces petites balles odorantes…