Shawarma on hummus

copy hummus wmeat

One of the biggest advantages of living in Beirut is this: I can order this at my favorite deli. It comes with all the trimmings. The flavor is superb and I did not spend a second in the kitchen.

If you are looking for a classic hummus recipe, click here.

A beef shawarma recipe, click here.

This dish can also be served with ground lamb fried with chopped onions. The pine nuts taste best fried in butter separately.

shawarma maker

1. Posted April 24, 2013 at 6:05 am | Permalink

Why is it Beef is it not normally lamb ??

2. Posted April 24, 2013 at 6:35 am | Permalink

A scrumptious pairing! I love both specialities.

Posted April 24, 2013 at 7:25 am | Permalink

@david hart: yes, it is lamb; however when made at home, most people do it with beef (not as fatty). Either way is fine, the important thing is to marinade it the day before. The problem with lamb is that fat (called liyeh) comes from the tail and is placed at the top of the skewer; when making it at home, you can order it from the butcher here in Lebanon (the fat from the tail, that is); unfortunately this fat is not available overseas. So beef is an easier option with olive oil instead of tail-fat.

4. weavethousandflavors
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 7:29 am | Permalink

What a fanstastic pairing and the fact that you can get this as take-away is brilliant! What a good way to live and eat my friend :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

5. Posted April 24, 2013 at 7:29 am | Permalink

This is making me hungry! Yet, I don’t need to be hungry to eat this! Can eat it any time! We sometimes make hummus with pastirma, but never seen lamb or beef doner on it. This one sounds so good!

6. Posted April 24, 2013 at 8:06 am | Permalink

Now you’re talking! Wish I could beam this over to my table.

7. Posted April 24, 2013 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Make me want to move over there to get that shwarma!!

8. Posted April 24, 2013 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Woah.. I posted something similar last week but this puts my turkey shawarma recipe to shame. You’ve won me as a fan!

9. Posted April 24, 2013 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Yum! I love this version in Turkey when it’s served with pastrami. Sooo good! I’m sure your version is just as yummy.

10. Posted April 24, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Tell the the truth, Joumana: how many butter-fried pine nuts did you eat before they even made it into the dish?

Posted April 24, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

@Eric: your insight blows me away: truth be told, at least 25.

Posted April 24, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

@Yosef: I have no merit, great food is available here, just a matter of ordering :)

13. Posted April 24, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

There’s only one place in LA I know of that does half a good a job of this combo. GREG

14. Posted April 24, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

I’d like to invite you again to the CookEatShare Author Network. I don’t want the over 1 million unique monthly visitors to CookEatShare.com to miss out on your wonderful food.

By joining our Author Network, your blog posts will be indexed and users will be guided to your actual blog when searching your recipes or profile.

The service is free and easy to sign up for. Simply visit http://www.cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply or contact me at Kyra@cookeatshare.com. You’ll get a unique link to claim and customize your profile. We look forward having you in our network!

If you’re not interested simply put “No Thanks” in the subject and e-mail Kyra.

15. Posted April 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

When in Turkey I enjoyed many a shawarma wrapped in flatbread, though the Turkish called the treat a “Doner”. As good as they were, my father-in-law, George said there were a poor substitute for Lebanese shawarma!

Posted April 27, 2013 at 12:33 am | Permalink

@Oui, Chef: Lebanese are very proud of their culinary achievements! However, we all agree that the shawarma was a legacy from the Ottomans who rules over the region for centuries (including while my grandmother was alive). It is just not the same as the doner,that’s all.

17. Posted April 27, 2013 at 4:10 am | Permalink

This is one of my all-time favourite dishes. I’m going home for a couple of weeks in summer and I am SO excited that my favourite cafe that makes this is still open.

18. Posted April 28, 2013 at 5:00 am | Permalink

Des fois ça fait du bien de se faire servir…..

19. Posted April 28, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Your are very lucky to have such wonderful things available at the local vendors! A delicious combination!

20. Posted April 29, 2013 at 3:54 am | Permalink

Hummus and Shawarma is always a great combination!

21. Posted May 16, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Oh that looks delicious!

22. Rosanne Zammit
    Posted August 12, 2014 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Dear Joumana,
    The link to the shawarma recipe is broken. I also tried but could not find it through search. And I need it desperately. My husband and I love it and we need to make it for guests who are coming over on Thursday.

Thanks