Beet/chocolate pancakes

Beet:choc TOB

I seemed to have always met people who either liked or hated beets; I love beets. This, however, is not a beet pancake; it is a chocolate pancake that happens to have beets in it. I saw a beautiful picture of a beet red velvet cake in a Donna Hay magazine; that cake was two-layered with lots of cream and served twelve. I thought:  How about a pancake with  cocoa powder instead? These are chocolat-y and you will not detect the taste of beets in them. (The recipe in that magazine had both chocolate and cocoa powder).

I would serve these for dessert, actually. In Lebanon, pancakes are called atayef and are served as a dessert, with cream or nut fillings.

Makes #12

Mix wet ingredients first:

1 beet, boiled and peeled (medium-size) 100 g or 3.6oz (can increase the beets to 115 g. or 4.5 oz)

1 large egg

1 Tbsp honey

2  tbsp raw sugar

¼ cup cocoa powder mixed with 2 oz melted unsalted butter

½ cup milk

½ cup beet juice (use the beet water after boiling the beets)

Dry ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour

dash of salt

½ tsp baking powder

IMG_7496

1. Mix in a blender or food processor bowl the wet ingredients first. Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl and add them to the wet ingredients. Grease and heat a skillet and cook them as regular pancakes. Serve with honey or cream or any syrup.

NOTE: If you wish to have a perfect even size pancake, use a cookie cutter; spray the cookie cutter inside and place it on the skillet; pour the batter inside the cookie cutter; when it is done, flip it after removing the cookie cutter.

IMG_5061

A storefront in Burj Hammoud, Beirut.

1. Posted May 26, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

That is something I have never eaten, but would love to try!

2. Posted May 26, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I love beets! Had some chocolate cake with beet before and it was so delicious. I am very sure I will love these pancakes too.

3. Posted May 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Oh those are a definite must-try!

4. Posted May 26, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Love beets but sometimes avoid them b/c they stain so! This is a wonderful natural sweetness….

5. Posted May 27, 2013 at 5:44 am | Permalink

I love beets – and it is a well kept secret that they seem to merge so beautifully with chocolate! These pancakes look fantastic – dessert or any time!

6. Mark Wisecarver
    Posted May 27, 2013 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Among our Beirut family the women enjoyed beets while the men did not, there seems to be some chemistry involved. Beets are one thing I do not include in my baking so it looks like they passed this on to me. btw have seen the recent Beirut news, hope you are safe and well.

7. Posted May 28, 2013 at 3:27 am | Permalink

I am a beat lover too, but I am surrounded by family who really dislike it so I don’t get my fix enough.

8. Posted May 28, 2013 at 7:05 am | Permalink

I love beets too! What a great idea for dessert. I’ll bet this would make delightful filled crepes also.

Posted May 28, 2013 at 10:35 am | Permalink

@Susan: What a great idea, crêpes!

10. Posted May 28, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I love beets and would happily munch on these pancakes anyday!

11. Posted May 31, 2013 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Beets and chocolate go mysteriously well together! And it’s a bonus that they make such attractive baked goods, too. Hadn’t thought of it in pancake form, though. Thanks for sharing!

12. Posted May 31, 2013 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Found your Beets recipes fascinating, something I would never have tried…. really pleased with results, Our Syrian relations came over recently and now we have the pancakes with walnut fillings …. Top Tip

13. Posted May 31, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

I love the way you’ve described these! The pancakes look spectacular and sadly I have yet to work with beets in sweet things. LOVE them with goat cheese.

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

14. Paula
    Posted June 1, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

I’m confused — the photo looks like they were cut out with a crimped cutter. How did that happen? Also, where does one find beet juice? I would make these, but that ingredient confounds me a bit.

Posted June 1, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

@Paula: I used a cookie cutter that I placed on the skillet then poured the batter inside of it; it was just for styling, since it does not affect their taste :)
    As far as the beet juice, this is the juice obtained after boiling them.
    If I have time today, I will insert the images showing the cookie cutter technique.

16. Paula
    Posted June 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Great — thanks!

17. Posted June 10, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Oohhh….chocolate pancakes for dessert? I MUST try this.