Dried fruit balls

dried fruit balls I am not sure how or why it happened, but I suddenly found my fridge,  freezer and cupboard  bursting with packages of dried fruits and nuts. These are the solution; made in minutes and perfect for a breakfast on-the-go or a case of the munchies at eleven PM. INGREDIENTS:

• 2  cups assorted dried fruits ( I used figs, prunes and apricots)
  • 1/2 cup roasted nuts ( I used pistachios and almonds)
  • 1/4 cup grape molasses or honey (add more if the paste is too stiff)
  • 1/2 cup grated coconut

METHOD: 1. Place the fruits and nuts in the bowl of a food processor; run the machine and add the molasses or honey to obtain a thick paste. Either form the paste into balls or pat onto a brownie pan. If balls are used, dip in the coconut. Otherwise, sprinkle coconut all over the pan; dry out for a couple of hours and cut into bars. Balls can be kept in the fridge in a box.

NOTE: If your fruits are too dry, you can soak them in a little hot tea or liqueur to plump up for a couple of hours; also, if you don’t want to do this, you can add a touch more of honey or molasses to make the mixture hold together better.

une belle rose

1. Posted May 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

A delicious treat!

2. Posted May 9, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

This looks like a wonderful treat!

3. SYLVIA
    Posted May 9, 2013 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

A nice variety to my cookie tray.

4. Posted May 10, 2013 at 1:56 am | Permalink

Love these for a healthy snack!

5. Posted May 10, 2013 at 4:24 am | Permalink

Your balls look delicous! Inspired me to make my own :)

6. Anusha
    Posted May 10, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

A great treat for those after meal snack cravings

7. Posted May 10, 2013 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I too tend to accumulate dried fruit. GREG

8. Posted May 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Let’s see, I think I have dried apricots and figs, I know I have nuts. I just need to pick up some coconut. Can’t wait to try these, Joumana!

9. Posted May 11, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Such a good idea for all those bits of dried and fruit and nuts that seem to accumulate. There always seems to be just a bit left over after buying them for a particular recipe. Thanks for sharing.

10. Posted May 12, 2013 at 2:51 am | Permalink

I was looking for health related website to review many issue. Now I’ve found your blog site with lots of amazing information. You did really excellent work. I’ll read your blog regular basis.

11. Posted May 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Des petites balles pleines d’énergie et d’une surprenante finesse…

12. Posted May 13, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

I love it – and I’ll bet it would be fun to try different types of dried fruit, too!

13. Posted May 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I am SO going to teach these treats at my next Cooking Matters class….brilliant! I’ll give you full credit, of course!

14. Posted May 30, 2013 at 4:01 am | Permalink

Just yesterday I made something similar- although with petit beurres and sesame. I thought I would like to skip the petit beurres- next time I will try your recipe! Thanks.

15. Scotia
    Posted December 18, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

I made these today and I must say how wonderful they are! I used figs, prunes, apricots, dates, cherries, golden raisins and candied ginger (yes, I cleaned out my tin of dried fruits!) and plumped them in warm water for 30 minutes. I used the pistachios and almonds and only had to use 1 1/2 – 2 T of Lytle’s Golden Syrup (cane sugar), because the fruits were nice and soft, and unsweetened grated coconut. Oh my, thank you, thank you, thank you!
    I think there will be some this next year geared to where I live, the PNW. Maybe cherries, blueberries, cranberries, figs, prunes, apricots, hazelnuts and walnuts?

Posted December 19, 2013 at 12:32 am | Permalink

@Scotia: My pleasure! You are in a wonderful area and yes, I would take advantage of the bounty of fruits you are getting there~:)

@Advia: The dried fruits are stiff to begin with, I added a little bit of nuts and the molasses to give it moisture; I probably ran the machine for 30 seconds; if you are worried about it getting puréed, just use the pulse and stop every 5 seconds.

17. Adva
    Posted December 19, 2013 at 2:56 am | Permalink

There are pieces of fruit and nuts int he picture. Do you run the food processor for a very short period of time? how do you keep everything from getting puree’d? (I’m sure it tastes great nevertheless). Thank you!