Rose water (Maward)

rose water

Rose water is used in amost all sweets,  desserts, puddings; in the south, folks add rose petals to their spice mix called kammooneh.   In the Gulf countries, rose water is even added to rice dishes;  it is  sold in all the ethnic markets or health-food markets  in the US; rose water is supposed to be a great skin tonic. It was applied to soothe skin burns. It is  used for religious purposes.

The only problem is this: Is the bottle of rose water, really, distilled rose water?

In most cases, no. It is water flavored with rose essence.

The solution is to plant a rose bush in your yard and distill the petals yourself. Not any rose bush, though. Rosa Damascena.

3ater

1. Posted June 22, 2013 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Beautiful, Joumana! I have roses in my backyard, but I don’t know what kind they’re. Do you make jam with rose petals? I’ve heard that is absurdly delicious :)

Posted June 22, 2013 at 9:07 am | Permalink

@Paula Mello: You make jam or syrup, sure. These roses come from a variety that is very thorny, but it grows in many places; i saw it once in Dallas, in a pot at a gas station! :)

3. Posted June 22, 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Extremely fragrant and heavenly!

4. Posted June 22, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

I don’t think I am up to distilling my own! I put some rosewater in a dessert today. I always store it in a bottle with a spray lid so that I can spritz some on my face while I cook with it.

5. Posted June 22, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Never thought to make own (duh), but rose water is so lovely on the skin!

6. Posted June 22, 2013 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Beautiful! Reminds me of home. My mother used to make rose water. This is one of the plants I want to have in our garden whenever I find it.

7. Mark Wisecarver
    Posted June 23, 2013 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Awesome! Just a bit in your Tea is also great and yes everyone can make this.
    Here’s a decent Youtube video showing how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJKbqxj3PJg

Posted June 23, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

@Mark: Thanks so much, you are a dear! :)

9. Posted June 23, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Joumana, it was so good to hear from you. Thanks for the comment on my Salmon post. These are absolutely beautiful photos of rose petals. I’ve never used it for cooking or had it at a restaurant in any food. Good information about “is it really rose water”.

10. Posted June 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

I have many roses but not that one!

11. KHALID
    Posted August 12, 2013 at 1:54 am | Permalink

I WORK FOR THE MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE UNDER UNDP PROJECT, WE LOOKING TO COLLECT INFORMATION ABOUT EXTRACT WATER FROM ROSE, SO WE CAN GET TRAINING IN THIS ONE IN LEBANON.
    I LOOKFORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU.

REGARDS