Zucchini harvest

zucchini harvest

I had a work-related project and no time to blog so I am posting an image of some zucchini we harvested on Sunday from the orchard; a quick recipe for a traditional salad of just picked Lebanese zucchini, called koossa here.

IMG_0273

Boil the zucchinis; mash 2 or 3 cloves of garlic with salt into a paste in a mortar; transfer the garlic paste to a bowl, add 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 1/2 cup of olive oil. Mix and pour over the boiled zucchinis. Serve. (You can cut the zucchinis into chunk in your plate and serve the dressing in a separate bowl).

1. Posted June 11, 2013 at 4:53 am | Permalink

I had never seen zucchini on the plant… and I live in Italy!!!!

2. Posted June 11, 2013 at 7:47 am | Permalink

These look amazing, I wish I could get my hands on some. I used to be overwhelmed with zucchini when I lived in Michigan. I love your no time to post post! YUM!

3. Gabi
    Posted June 11, 2013 at 9:07 am | Permalink

The idea of boiling them never occurred to me. I always fried them in a pan or prepared them in a dish in the oven. For a zucchini fan like me this has to be tried.

4. Posted June 11, 2013 at 10:06 am | Permalink

J’en achète régulièrement au marché Forville. Une vraie merveille ! Quelle chance d’aller les ramasser soi-mêmes ! ;o)
    Bises
    Hélène

5. Posted June 12, 2013 at 5:13 am | Permalink

These sound delicious with the just picked zucchini I’m jealous of your wonderful vegetable garden.

6. Posted June 12, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

The plant looks just like the ‘white’ zucchini I have in my garden – which we love. My plants will be awhile before they produce anything, though….. Lovely harvest!

7. Posted June 12, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

This zucchini plant looks so healthy! Your recipe is simple and must go well with the fresh zucchini – I’ll try it. I thought about you when I wrote my last post as I included a poem by Andrée Chedid.

8. Leigh
    Posted June 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Did you garden while you were in Dallas? If so, what did you plant? I am dying to have my own garden but I am still in an apartment. I have dreams of working in the garden in the morning with the little one running around hopefully not doing anything too bad. lol

Posted June 13, 2013 at 12:38 am | Permalink

@Leigh: I made an attempts but the weeds got the best of me :) I did get a forest of basil, tomatoes and lots of mint of course; next time around, `i will have more time available; it is so time-consuming. not sure i could do it with a toddler running around. my friend is growing beautiful mulukhieh in her yard

10. Leigh
    Posted June 13, 2013 at 8:52 am | Permalink

mulukhieh! Where can I get my hands on that plant? She must have brought it with her. I was thinking of attempting a garden with a raised bed and using some sort of barrier so that the weeds can’t get in. You might try that as well. The only thing is you will have to construct the bed. But, I have seen so many things on pinterest and other places for easy raised beds that I don’t believe it will be too difficult.

Posted June 13, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

@Leigh: I will ask Phoebe and let you know; by the way, you can find fresh mulukhieh at the Asian market, I think the Vietnamese eat it.

12. Posted June 13, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

This is so exciting! I’ve always dreamt of picking my own zucchini flowers. I bet that dish tasted as beautiful as these look!

13. Leigh
    Posted June 14, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Do you know what they call it? I always buy the frozen from Sara Bakery but would love to get my hands on some fresh.

14. Posted June 18, 2013 at 6:51 am | Permalink

Just had the best fried zucchini blossoms stuffed with mozzarella at a local restaurant, do you stuff and fry the flowers in Lebanon?

Posted June 18, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

@Oui, Chef: no they have not discovered this delicacy yet; they will at some point since stuffing veggies is part of the culture! :)