Labneh balls (Labneh makbouseh)

Labneh balls

IMG_7510

IMG_7513

IMG_7518

A slow-food activity for a week-end; making these labneh balls can also pay-off later on when a housewarming gift is needed. Just drain the yogurt overnight (or better yet, for a couple of days); using a small cookie dough scooper, make these little balls, place them on a paper-towel-lined tray, cover them with more towels; and whenever you feel likeit, pat them with more paper to remove extra moisture; eventually, they will get dry enough and you’ll be able to dunk them in olive oil and in a jar. Wait 24 hours and consume. Store in the fridge.

Labneh balls on bread

1. Posted September 30, 2013 at 7:21 am | Permalink

What a thoughtful gift this would make!

2. Posted September 30, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Ahlain Joumana!! Please tell me, do you keep the yogurt in the fridge while doing all the drying out process?? I’d appreciate your feedback. Cheers

3. Tom Tait
    Posted September 30, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

I have a question and maybe someone can answer this for me. I tried to make labneh once and it was still kind of moist. I did put the yogurt in the fridge overnight to drain as I was afraid the yogurt would spoil if I left it out at room temp. Do you have to press the yogurt down every now and then to push the moisture out? I love Lebanese and middle eastern foods. Very healthy and very delicious. Labneh and a little baba ganoush on some pita? Heavenly. Love it.

4. Posted October 1, 2013 at 12:29 am | Permalink

C’est juste génial, en boules comme ça ! Merci pour l’idée … Vive le Slow Food …
    Bisous
    Hélène

Posted October 1, 2013 at 9:44 am | Permalink

@Tom: You can drain it outside for a longer time or in the fridge, patting it with towels as well.

@Stellos: Yes, I keep it in the fridge.

6. Posted October 1, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

So delicious, what a lovely gift it would make; I remember my grandmother making a version of it and coating it with zahtar, aleppo pepper and cumin. Looks wonderful :) Ozlem

7. Posted October 3, 2013 at 3:51 am | Permalink

Love these and would be extremely happy to receive them as a housewarming gift!

8. Posted October 3, 2013 at 9:27 am | Permalink

What a beautiful way to eat and so heartwarming as a housewarming gift or even for the holidays. I love it!

Hope you are well dear :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

9. Gabi
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 2:33 am | Permalink

I tried to make some once but obviously was not patient enough and they got too moist. Maybe I will give it another chance some day. For how long will they keep once they are in oil?

10. Posted October 6, 2013 at 7:18 am | Permalink

I can imagine how delicious these must be. What kind of yoghurt do you use Joumana? I suppose that Greek yoghurt will be much better as most of the water has already been drained.

11. Posted October 6, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink

I love this…. and think of the flavor possibilities! But two questions, Joumana – what kind of yogurt and how long will they keep in the fridge once in oil?

Posted October 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

@Jamie: any kind, cow or goat is fine; just drain it as long as possible, one day at least; the balls keep for at least a year in oil in a sterilized jar.

@Ivy: I have not used Greek, but i think you are right.

@Gabi: several months.

13. Posted October 7, 2013 at 1:40 am | Permalink

These have been my favorite since I was kid when I watched my mom and teta prepare them! Thank you for this one!

Posted October 9, 2013 at 3:46 am | Permalink

@Jamie: any kind, cow or goat; let it drain at least a day, more if you can (2 or more) and once in oil, for several months; they say one year, i have never had mine that long.The problem is the longer you keep them, they tend to get a bit sour in taste; so I like to say, no more than 6 months.

@Ivy: I am sure Greek yogurt would be great; i have yet to try it! :)

15. Posted October 14, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

I never knew you could make these at home, and always thought it took a machine to form them.