Areesheh cheese

leb ricotta copy

This cheese, served with a drizzle of honey, used to be an old-fashioned dessert served at all rural restaurants. It is similar to ricotta from the standpoint of its texture;  made by a local artisan dairy farm, it is a real treat: At once light and with the ethereal taste of pure cream, it does not feel like a sin to eat gobs of it in one sitting. In a recent wedding I attended, a booth was even set-up  in which people could get their fill of areesheh with different local honeys to choose from.

IMG_5446

This was a booth at the wedding with areesheh and different honeys to savor it with.

1. Posted November 24, 2013 at 3:35 am | Permalink

Delicious and fresh!

2. Posted November 24, 2013 at 3:52 am | Permalink

I just post a comment in your FB page…. thank you very much for telling us what to do with remaining whey in such a tasty way…

3. Joelle
    Posted November 24, 2013 at 3:55 am | Permalink

Joumana you’re a genius!! I am just making labneh from yogurt, I’m going to try this in a couple of hours. How much whey will I need? I get about 3 cups each time I drain the yogurt should I use them all? I usually add a cup to my toddlers morning oatmeal for extra nutrients.

4. Posted November 24, 2013 at 6:52 am | Permalink

What a great idea to have a bar of honey!

5. Posted November 24, 2013 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Such a nice way to use whey. I have been needing a recipe like this. Thank you.

6. Posted November 24, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

This sounds like the Indian cottage cheese / Paneer! I have never tried it with honey / sugar. Use it regularly in savory dishes / gravies. Btw,Love your click!

7. Gabi
    Posted November 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

A honeybar makes me turn green with envy. I’ld like to have been a guest. And what an omen at a wedding. I wish them luck and lots of honey-days.

Posted November 25, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

@Gabi: They now have a darling little baby boy.

9. Posted November 26, 2013 at 8:47 am | Permalink

So delicious Joumana, I loved the combination with honey – it reminds me of taze cokelek cheese my grandma used to make in Antioch – you now inspired me :)

10. Providence
    Posted November 26, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

I just had some whey available, so I decided to give this recipe a try. I had approximately 2 cups whey, to which I added the milk and lemon. I followed the instructions and got… nothing. Just a pan full of whey, milk and lemon. Any idea what may have turned wrong ? Thank you !

Posted November 27, 2013 at 12:52 am | Permalink

@Providence: I tested the recipe a while back making a white cheese first and using the whey leftover; when I made the cheese, I used rennet tablet. I will test the recipe again. Did you boil the whey first before adding the milk? The milk is stirred until it curdles (which is helped by the add of lemon juice); then it is removed and cooled and the curds are collected and drained for areesheh;. Sorry for the problem. I will pull out the recipe until I retest it.

These two recipes, I tested in my kitchen and they did not give me any trouble. Did you dump all your whey and milk? I would re-use them with a rennet tablet, just to see.

and if you are into cheese-making, this is a recipe from an Armenian lady who got it from her grandmother; I pulled it out because she told me it had been used with the image on other sites without linking to my blog; so I am reposting it for a little while.

12. Providence
    Posted November 27, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your prompt answer, Joumana !
    I didn’t boil the whey before adding milk, I just mixed all the ingredients and boiled the whole mixture. I then stirred the content for a long time, without getting any texture change.
    Do you think the overall quantity of whey may affect the outcome ? Or may be you used non-homogenized milk ?
    I don’t have rennet tablets available right now, but I’ll buy some, because I really want to try this recipe ! For now I just dumped the milk and whey, never mind !
    Thanks for sharing the links, I’ll definitely have a look on them. And don’t worry, it’s the only failure I had so far while implementing your wonderful recipes, and this will not keep me of trying again ;)
    Thank you !

13. Marcus
    Posted November 27, 2013 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Hi Joumana, I bookmarked your recipe for felafel loaf but now it’s gone! Do you have another link for it. Looking forward to making this again!

14. Posted November 29, 2013 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Oohhh…like an ice cream sundae bar but even BETTER!