Tahini is our Middle- Eastern butter or mayo; it goes in just about everything; unlike butter, it is vegan as it is simply sesame seed paste; add to it some fresh lemon juice and a touch of garlic and you’ve got tarator sauce. Add some oranges and clementines, and you’ve got arnabiyeh sauce. Mix it with mashed chickpeas and you’ve got hummus or eggplant, baba ghannouj. The list goes on.
This dish is combining boiled potatoes with tahini sauce. A delightful combo. A good substitute could be cauliflower.
Recipe adapted from Atayeb sit al-habayeb (Khadeeja Sa3d Basj)
INGREDIENTS: 6 servings
- 4 medium-size potatoes, boiled till tender
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed in a mortar with a dash of salt
- Water to make the sauce smooth and creamy (around 1/4 cup)
- Chopped parsley to garnish
1. Mix the tahini, lemon juice, garlic paste in a bowl; add the water gradually until the sauce is smooth and creamy, like ranch dressing. Pour over the diced potatoes and mix lightly; sprinkle chopped parsley and serve at room temperature.