Date sandwich cake

dup date sandw cake

This is one of those homestyle no-bake desserts put together with leftover dates and cookies and kept in the freezer or fridge for days; perfect for a quick sweet nibble or a treat to offer an unexpected guest.

Middle-Eastern stores sell a packaged date paste making the job even easier.

This version is inspired by Anaheed’s Helwayate Anaheed al-shaheeya.

IINGREDIENTS: 8 servings

• 1/2 pound plain cookies (Marie or LU butter)
  • 1/2 pound pitted dates or date paste
  • 1 cup orange juice or water (if using cut-up dates)
  • 1/4 cup sugar (optional)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup grated sweetened coconutdupl date helow

1. Chop-up the cookies coarsely and set aside in a bowl.

2. Place the cut-up dates, orange juice (or water) in a saucepan till  the mixture starts bubbling up; stir, reducing the heat until it thickens. Add the butter, sugar if using, and stir till the butter melts. Cool a bit then add the egg and combine well. Transfer the date mixture to a large bowl and mix with the cut-up cookies. Finally transfer to a loaf pan lined with baking paper and set it to cool in the fridge or freezer.

3. When ready to serve, unmold and coat the date loaf with grated coconut. Serve cold. It can be kept in the freezer or fridge for several days.

NOTE: If using the date paste, start this by placing the butter and sugar in the saucepan; cool the butter mixture (or the egg will cook in it) then add the egg and the date paste and combine the mixture till smooth.

dupl sanwich date

1. Posted December 13, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

What a lovely idea Joumana. I make it with chocolate and orange but have some leftover dates. I am tempted to try it :)

2. Posted December 13, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

A delightful dessert! This is an interesting recipe.

3. Posted December 13, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

I love this kind of dessert .. maximum output with minimum effort!

4. Posted December 13, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Think this is gonna be present for Christmas!

5. Posted December 14, 2013 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Can we omit or replace the butter for those with cow milk products issues?
    Can I use coconut butter? Homemade coconut butter?

Posted December 14, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

@Hisham Assaad: I have made this recipe many times, using only the date paste; so, yes, you can omit the butter or use a different type of butter; I’d try it with a small amount first :)

@Jenny: Thank you for the praise and appreciation Jenny! (love Fort Worth btw!)

7. Jenny
    Posted December 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

As a Fort Worth girl who first started eating Lebanese food at 2 I just wanted to say thank you so much for all your work here.

My first job was at a Lebanese restaurant there and Mama and Papa both fed me up and taught me so many things. Your blog is, for me, the most accessible and complete reference for a cuisine I love so much.

Thank you and I hope you have a peaceful and joyful season. I am so happy you are here.

8. Posted December 16, 2013 at 5:10 am | Permalink

I love that all cultures have some kind of no-bake traditions. Salame al cioccolato (chocolate salami) and tiramisu (obvious!) are the most popular in Italy.

9. Posted December 18, 2013 at 2:53 am | Permalink

Good golly a dessert made with Petit Beurres??? Love! And love the flavors! And so pretty, too. What a fabulous treat!

10. Posted December 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Ingenious, and so pretty too!

11. Hana
    Posted January 14, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Hi ! Looks delicious and I would love to try this with some powdered cardamom mixed in, but is the raw egg really necessary? I’m always a bit nervous about serving my kids raw eggs……

Posted January 14, 2014 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

@Hana: The raw egg is not necessary; here is another post in which I made this without using eggs. http://www.tasteofbeirut.com/2010/07/date-losanges/