Caramel-stuffed apples

w caram apple

Apples are plentiful and who does not like apples and caramel? The idea of coring apples and stuffing them with caramel candy is one I found in a French recipe book promoting a caramel candy sold in France. I would simply substitute a jar of butterscotch topping or chewy caramel candies likely to melt in the oven.

core apples

Use as many apples as you like, preferably small dainty ones. Core the apples after cutting off the top, making sure to leave some apple pulp at the bottom (otherwise the caramel will seep into the dish); slice a small section at the bottom of the apple too, to make it stand up straight. With a knife, make a circular incision all around the apples (this step is optional). Place the apples in an ovenproof plate and insert with several teaspoons of butterscotch topping or caramel candies.

Mix 1/2 cup of apricot jam or orange marmelade with one cup of hot water and pour into the dish before baking the apples. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for about 20 minutes, basting the apples once during baking. Serve immediately.

dup apple w caramel

1. Posted January 19, 2014 at 11:07 am | Permalink

J’ai des bonbons à utiliser ! Quelle délicieuse idée ! Cela fera un joli dessert pour ce soir. je m’y colle maintenant …

Posted January 20, 2014 at 8:09 am | Permalink

@Hélène, je crois que c’étaient des carambars (?)

3. Posted January 20, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I’m not sure I could find anyone who wouldn’t like this!

4. Posted January 21, 2014 at 4:38 am | Permalink

True, caramel and apples are a match made in heaving, and so much simpler than making candied apples!

5. Posted January 21, 2014 at 6:44 am | Permalink

they look utterly delicious, a great comfort food :)

6. Posted January 21, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

They truly are a delicious combination! What a wonderful and simple idea to use caramel candy to stuff apples for a quick, tasty dessert.

7. Posted January 22, 2014 at 10:54 am | Permalink

I love caramel apples and this is so clever! A nice change from brown sugar and raisins! But I am fascinated by the addition of jam or marmalade to the baking water! Brilliant!

Posted January 22, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink

@Jamie, thanks! I thought of it when the recipe called for just adding a couple of tablespoons of water to the pan; I mean, water? come on! :)

9. Posted January 23, 2014 at 7:30 am | Permalink

Joumana dear – Now this is what I call a quick treat for the kids and grown-ups in a jiffy and healthful too. I like your idea about subbing with a jar of butterscotch.

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

10. Posted January 23, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

This seems so much simpler than dipping the apples in caramel. Bet they are great warm from the oven!