Mashed potato fritters

w ejjet batata

In chef Marlene Mattar’s latest cookbook Maedat Marlene men Halab, she mentions that these Aleppian potato fritters were traditionally made  in a dish such as the one pictured above; lucky lady who got to spend time in Aleppo before the tragic mayhem; since Aleppo has the well-deserved reputation for exquisite gastronomy, I was dying to try it out, especially since I had the pan in question. However, the recipe is easily made in a regular pie pan and is easier baked than fried over the stove.

I would recommend it for brunch. The potatoes are boiled first, then mashed and combined with eggs and a few spices. The taste is mild, the texture a bit spongy; these keep well for a few days in a plastic bag and can be a quick on-the-go lunch.

• INGREDIENTS: 18 2″ fritters or one 10″ pie serving 8
  • 1 1/2 pounds waxy potatoes (such as Yukon Gold)
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped herb such as cilantro or parsley
  • Spices: 1 tsp cumin, pinch black pepper, 1 tsp paprika or Aleppo pepper
  • 1 tsp mashed garlic
  • salt, to taste
  • 1/2 cup oil

dup potato fritter

1. Boil the potatoes in a large pot filled with water, with a dash of salt and a teaspoon of vinegar. When cooked, drain, peel and mash roughly with a fork.

2. Whisk the eggs lightly and add them to the potatoes along with the rest of the ingredients.

3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and fry the fritters on both sides, about 3 minutes on each side; or pour the oil in a pie pan, insert in a preheated 350F oven and after 5 minutes, pour the batter onto the pan and bake until the potato batter is set and golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.

w ejjet batata

1. Posted January 22, 2014 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

This looks amazing Joumana, and it happened that I have almost a similar pan from cast iron its for aebleskiver (Danish Apple Balls Fritters)

2. Posted January 22, 2014 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

We use a similar pan in our cuisine too! We just keep the pan on the stove and pour the batter and get the ‘fritters’ cooked. [You can have a peek here- http://seduceyourtastebuds.blogspot.in/2009/11/kuzhi-paniyaram-taste-of-chettinad.html
    This recipe sounds nice but must think of something to replace the eggs before I try it out :)

Posted January 22, 2014 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

@Arlette Abdallah: Even better! in her book, Marlene Mattar mentions that the pans in Aleppo are nonstick.

4. Posted January 23, 2014 at 12:43 am | Permalink

Very appetizing and surely mighty scrumptious! I live that pan.

5. Posted January 23, 2014 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Great looking potato cakes. Yum

6. Gabi
    Posted January 23, 2014 at 4:13 am | Permalink

I have a cast iron æbleskive pan, too. I’ll definitely try the potato fritters in it. Amazing, how many things the kitchen of the world have in common when you have a closer look.

7. Posted January 23, 2014 at 7:31 am | Permalink

I can totally make these for the boys lunch boxes Joumana.. Oh yeah! And I’ll love eating these too )

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

8. Posted January 23, 2014 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Always looking for ways to use leftover mashed potatoes. I like the sound of this one. AND I also have the aebleskiver pan. I wonder how baked potatoes would work rather than boiled?

9. Walter de Neergaard
    Posted January 23, 2014 at 9:04 am | Permalink

This kind of pan is very common as it is or with handel like friying pans in Denmark. It is used for a national”sweet” dish mostly around Christmas called “æble skiver” This is a pancake like “balls” use to be filled with apples “æble” pices or slices “skiver”.
    They are sured with powder sugar and either stawberry or rabbery or blacj current marmalade :-D and eaten with fingers :-P

10. Posted January 23, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

They look delicious and I’ll try to make soon.

11. Posted January 23, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

They sort of look like little individual frittatas….I’m a fan!

Posted January 24, 2014 at 12:02 am | Permalink

@Margaret: Baked or boil, the result is the same. I think this was mainly to keep the fritters from soaking up too much oil (as is the case when the potatoes are left raw)

13. Nathalie
    Posted January 25, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Can I bake it in a muffin pan? Thank you for this great recipe.

Posted January 26, 2014 at 12:43 am | Permalink

@Nathalie: sure, just remember to grease or spray the pan (or better yet, grease and flour it).

15. Posted January 28, 2014 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Your potato fritters look delicious! I would love to try making them in my aebleskiver pan. A perfect little comfort food :)

16. Posted January 28, 2014 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Hi Joumana, how have you been….it’s been long time since I visited your blog or actually I should say any blog for that matter…..above kinda pan(cast iron version) is on my wishlist, only need to figure out where I’m gonna store all my pans if I keep buying them so for the time being I’ve put my kitchen shopping on the hold. Fritters look absolutely tempting.